Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matrix-driven transform

Matrix-driven transform

Maya needs a matrix-driven transform. Currently transforms can not accept matrices as input. The user is required to first decompose a matrix in to its srt( & shear) values do drive a transform. The first thing the transform does is recompose those values in to a matrix to use in its own calculations. We could skip that expensive step.

A matrix input would skip that step, reduce the number of connections required between nodes, and leave srt attributes free for animation curves reducing the need for additional dag nodes in rigs.

11 Comments
jwlove
Advocate

I like this idea, but I'm wondering which would be the better option:

- a completely separate transform node that only has a matrix input (ie: no translate/rotate/scale attrs) 

- adding this input to the original transform node and deactivating the translate/rotate/scale if it has a matrix input

Another thought would be how this node behaves within the hierarchy - should it respect it's parent?  Perhaps a 'matrixIn' and a 'worldMatrixIn' attrs that are mutually exclusive?  The matrixIn would behave like an offset matrix to the node's parent matrix while the worldMatrixIn would force it to the world space result of the input matrix... Or, a 'matrixIn' and a Boolean attr to evaluate the matrix as local or world?

lots to think about, but a great idea!

userX4542
Advocate

surprised to see so much love for this one

jwlove
Advocate

What? From me?  I Love all ideas for improving Maya ;D

Haha, kidding aside, this idea is about speeding up Maya node network calculations which I am always in utmost support of.  Creating a matrix and passing it through a decompose matrix to drive a transform's translate/rotate/scale attrs which then constructs a matrix internally so Maya can display it is a lot of extra calculations that aren't really necessary if you can just pass the matrix directly into the transform.

This will speed up rig interactivity (and therefore animator workflow) because it will speed up the node network's evaluation for two reasons - first it gets rid of a lot of unnecessary calculations to convert data back and forth, and second because it will drastically simplify a lot of node networks utilizing Maya's matrix nodes in complex character rigs thus making far fewer nodes in the network that need to be calculated through in the first place.

Another idea for updated math nodes here that would also help clean up some node calculation speed:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-ideas/add-more-math-trig-nodes/idi-p/7963332

If both of these ideas get implemented, we're talking about a pretty massive rig speed improvement.

userX4542
Advocate

@jwlove  haha, no i mean in general - it got upvoted so much. Yes, the performance improvement is defo important. But would this change the way transformations are handles from a practical point of view? 
Also, out of all the things that need to be improved, it's funny how this gathered so much support. It must have been posted on social media somewhere.

jwlove
Advocate

Yeah, it did gain a lot of votes fast!

Will it change how transforms are handled from a practical point of view?  I suppose it depends on how it's implemented...  A new node type that's essentially a transform that takes a matrix instead of translate/rotate/scale/etc obviously wouldn't interfere with the current transform node, but could lead to a little confusion with two transform node types - but I think they'd mostly get used by people who are already working with Maya's matrix nodes anyway, so might not be too bad.  Adding this functionality to the current transform would probably necessitate using either the matrix OR the transform attrs…  And it could possibly bloat the transform node's calculation logic a little (but not as bad as the decomposeMatrix stuff mentioned above)?  I guess they could do some internal testing and figure out the best option...

Do you have any specific concerns?

userX4542
Advocate

No real concerns - it could be a good improvement. Maya's transformation system is very odd in general with it's dag system in combination with it's funky pivot and neutral pose. But I have my doubts it will be changed... Just depends on how much of a priority this would be compared to other 'ideas'.

tj.galda
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

chokmah
Advocate

I really agree with that.

johnkeates2865
Advocate

This is done isn't it? (thanks by the way - I can't wait to use it).

Shouldn't our votes be returned at this point?

tj.galda
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

Thanks for the awesome idea!  We've taken this & run with it.  Check out what we put into Maya 2020.

Keep the comments & good ideas rolling in, we're listening!

tj

tj.galda
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

Thanks for the awesome idea!  We've taken this & run with it.  Check out what we put into Maya 2020.

Keep the comments & good ideas rolling in, we're listening!

tj

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report