Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xgen issues with ncloth.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
469 Views, 4 Replies

xgen issues with ncloth.

Hello, 

I am trying to create a piece of fur that sits on the shoulders of my character. firstly I have created a plane, and used ncloth with passive colliders to get the shape that I want and im really happy with the shape and the way it sits. 

I am trying to use xgen to apply the fur to the piece of geometry. xgen applies absolutely fine, i am using groomable splines. it appears as normal. I want the furs colour to be controlled by an image from photoshop so that it looks realistic. so after watching many tutorials online that show how its done by using the ptex texture map "trick" here's where the problem comes in...

When I click on the create map button, (I have tried using both the primitive colour and the custom shader parameters) NOTHING HAPPENS. from what im watching the mesh should turn white, i should have the 3d paint tool at the ready and a 2d texture node should be created. absolutely none of the above happens. Then to make things even worse, I get no error messages. and the button for the paint tool that should appear next to my colour, along with the save and load buttons, are none existent either.

also if i create a normal plane in the same scene without adding an ncloth this method works fine and the ptex maps work, a 2d texture node is created and the the 3d paintbrush tool appears as normal.

can anyone help at all?

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

The nCloth set up may be conflicting with Xgen and preventing a groom.

Can you try Mayas nHair tools and see if they are able to be applied to the nCloth?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

I have tried to apply nHair and it applies fine, i've also being working with what i could with xgen in the meantime, I have managed to change the colour to a solid colour through hypershade but still no luck with creating a map so i can control each individual spline with an image I have created.

The geometry im working with has the output cloth attribute, I have a hunch it has something to do with that. any way of converting an output cloth back to its original polyplane state? 

Message 4 of 5
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

You should be able to delete the ncloth controllers etc in the Outliner and that will revert the plane back to its original state.

Message 5 of 5
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous 

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report