Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xgen corrupting with cached animation

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
904 Views, 3 Replies

Xgen corrupting with cached animation

Hi,

I'm currently working on project and have run into this situation using xgen and cached animation. The groom is fine and renders fine if the cat is in T-pose but once animation cache is applied and playing through the animation, the xgen groom loses its groom. 

I have not previously had this problem and havent seem to find anything linking to it yet.

I have checked and double checked the project is set before opening the scene. I have made the groom exported for animation through file>export patches for batch render, I have also tried caching the animation and this has not seem to have made a difference. I'm still learning xgen and wondering if I have missed a step or if there is something else I need to check. 

Me adding colour to the fur didnt change anything as I had an colour assigned to it before and it was working but just reassigned pxrmaschner hair shader  while I was working on hair spec settings.

Thank you in advance for your help.

renderman render of corrupt xgenrenderman render of corrupt xgenxgen preview of corrupt xgenxgen preview of corrupt xgengroom with animation cache before it went corruptgroom with animation cache before it went corruptguide setupguide setup

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

There's some info in this thread that might help you!

From that thread:

Groomable splines dont follow the mesh as it deforms or moves but the XGen splines, that will be rendered, will stay with the mesh. The groomable splines stay at the bind pose. 

If you hit preview in the new pose, the hairs will generate on the surface 

GroomSpline.png

GroomSpline2.png

The workflow for groomable splines is to work on the groom in the bind pose (This generates the control maps for the splines that XGen will generate at render/preview time)

There is a way to force the groomable splines to a new pose but it involves deleting the xgen_pref attr from the bound geo at the new pose frame, saving the scene and reloading it. This forces XGen to regenerate the pref for the current pose. You then importing the groom files (The groom maps are saved to disc when you preview the description) and the splines are rebuilt in the new space.. 

GroomSpline3.png

Please let me know if this post helps at all or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 4
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion I provided yesterday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Sorry about responding to you so late, had a crazy day yesterday. It's not quite what I was after as for me the Xgen rendered splines were being affected.  I did manage to fix it though and found it was a collision modifier that was causing the groom to go crazy when rendered. 

I will definitely keep that information in mind for future grooms. Thank you 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators