Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to start a maya learning channel but don't have certified Autodesk Maya license..

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cbibci
306 Views, 6 Replies

Want to start a maya learning channel but don't have certified Autodesk Maya license..

hi,

I am an CG Artist stayin in Asia ..As I cannot afford expensive Autodesk Maya license is it legally okay for me to start a youtube channel with autodesk maya basic tutorials for sharing knowledge n helping other beginner cg artists..

thanks..

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mspeer
in reply to: cbibci

Hi!

You need a commercial Maya (incl. Maya Indie) or Maya LT license if you want to provide tutorials on YouTube.

Message 3 of 7
xxmarkc

I think this is fair. But as always things are not so black and white. If you are a student with a legally obtained educational licence (i.e. studying at recognised qualification awarding school) then as part of your education I would argue there is some chance sharing on YouTube would be ok - as long as you were very careful to be steering clear of all YouTube monetisation.

However YouTube is really about monetisation, so get Indie and see if you can make some money. Who knows you might hit earnings limit in which case the cost of a licence would be the least of your problems!

Message 4 of 7
mspeer
in reply to: xxmarkc

Hi!

"If you are a student with a legally obtained educational licence (i.e. studying at recognised qualification awarding school) then as part of your education I would argue there is some chance sharing on YouTube would be ok"

- No it's not. YouTube is a commercial driven platform.

Message 5 of 7
DarrenP

another thread on this: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-forum/student-version-of-maya-for-youtube/td-p/5663234

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
xxmarkc

Just to be clear I totally support the recent moves to close down access to educational Maya to anyone other than a student at a qualification granting school, and the compensation for those excluded being the affordability of Indie. This is despite myself (hobbyist) being caught by that change. In the past I have used online schools to get a educational licence. My account is now locked at Maya 2019 and I have an expiration date for the license less than a year out. I am evaluating my usage what I want to achieve and will take a call on Indie v dropping Maya. Ironically I did think of the use case of training videos and saw this one that would support getting the subscription. So my interest here is more about what you can legitimalnly do as a legitimate student. 

Quite a lot of useful information in that thread - but it is rather old. Clearly this distinction between monetisation the content producer (the student) can toggle on and off v the monetisation Google gain from the platform as a whole is a complication my initial thoughts missed. It raises the very interesting question of where can a student post their work?

YouTube - lot of argument here no.

Facebook - similar to YouTube I guess

Twitter etc etc. 

All of these clearly can be enabled to make no money for the student.

Web hosting space they pay for. Can't see how this won't work. The argument the web hosting company makes money from the student paying hosting fees seems removed from what is hosted.

School websites. OK I would argue even if schools were being run at a profit.

Here are two really interesting edge cases:

Artstation

therookies.co

If I was Autodesk I would see this as a good example of where them publishing a white and black list as part of the new model for educational licences would help. 

Message 7 of 7
cbibci

thanks every one for your comment n helping me in right direction..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums