Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visualize > Animation Snapshot doesn't retain materials?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Henrik_Cederblad
217 Views, 4 Replies

Visualize > Animation Snapshot doesn't retain materials?

ISSUE

Source object materials won't carry over in Animation Snapshot objects.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1. Create a mesh object with materials assigned to it.
2. Rig, skin, animate the object.
3. Select the object, then Visualize > Animation Snapshot.

RESULT
Snapshot group is created with meshes that don't retain materials from the source object. (Instead receiving grey Lambert.)

EXPECTED OUTCOME

In my university course lecture, the teacher was using Maya 2020 and his materials from the source object would remain in the resulting snapshots. Needless to say, it was a bit of a mess reassigning materials ... on 80 snapshots with two materials each.

GOAL
Animated particle objects using nParticles and Instancer. (Making a swarm of four-winged flying critters).

I'm using Maya 2024.2 / Win 11 and here is my actual Maya scene.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I posted this question early in my dynamics/simulation course. Some 90 views and nothing but silence for over a month ... the course is now over.

The university wasn't able to provide an answer, as was the case with this forum. Leaves me wondering if there was something unclear with the question?

Message 3 of 5
brentmc
in reply to: Henrik_Cederblad

Hi,

I'll get an issue opened for this. Do you still have the repro scene as the link above is no longer working.

Thanks.

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 4 of 5

Hello, I reproduced this issue and have logged the issue as follows:

MAYA-133278 Animation Snapshot doesn't retain materials

This will be discussed at our next team meeting.

Best regards,

Kelly

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 5 of 5

Henrik,

You mention that this was working in an earlier version of Maya, but I was not able to reproduce that.  Could you provide your scene (link above does not work), or some example or workflow that shows this working in Maya 2020.

Thank you,

Kelly

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums