Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewport 2.0 Objects all Flat Black

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Brandon_Curless
2560 Views, 10 Replies

Viewport 2.0 Objects all Flat Black

Hello, when I assign an Arnold standard surface shader to an object in the Viewport 2.0, the object turns all flat black making it hard to see the geometry shape. Even applying the chrome preset to an object it still turns all black. I tried different viewport lighting options. It's not the backside of an object. My render turns out just fine though. Is there a viewport setting I should be adjusting? See pics, thanks for help.

Brandon C.

Labels (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
damaggio
in reply to: Brandon_Curless

It doesn't look like you set up a skydome with HDR map yet.

Edit...Sorry, its hard to see it in  my iphone, can you upload your scene, no car needed, zip it first please.

Message 3 of 11
Brandon_Curless
in reply to: damaggio

Thanks for your reply! Here is the zip file.

Brandon C.

Message 4 of 11
damaggio

Thanks for uploading the file Brandon, we use Vray here to render our Model Ts but someone in the forum will troubleshoot your file hopefully soon now that the Zip is available.In the meantime make sure your Maya version and Arnold is the latest update.

Happy Holidays.

Message 5 of 11
mspeer

Hi!

Thanks for the file, but for me it's not enough data.

I need to see the issue to check what's the problem, so I also need the cameras, materials and at least one object showing the issue (not all faces of the main model are required, but the issue needs to be visible) .

Message 6 of 11
Brandon_Curless
in reply to: mspeer

Thanks for your reply. Here is the updated zip file. I imported the car and applied an aiStandard preset 'brushed metal' and 'chrome' on the geometry. I am using the perspective camera. Materials in viewport are just flat black. Even the chrome preset I applied to the front grill and rims are flat black. Makes it difficult to make out the geometry with no light reflecting off surface. Thanks again for any ideas.

Brandon C.

Message 7 of 11
mspeer

Hi!

You can't see anything on your surface, because there is nothing else in your scene that could be reflected on your main model.

1. Create an Arnold SkyDomeLight and add a texture (at best any .hdr or .exr file)

2. In Viewport menu:

Lighting > Use All Lighting (check)

You can also use a different shader for modelling than for rendering.

Message 8 of 11
Brandon_Curless

Got it, that was an easy fix. I thought the physical sun/sky environment would provide reflection. Thanks a lot!

Brandon C.

Message 9 of 11
kenne150

Hi. I'm having this same issue using Maya 2022 with Arnold material appearing very dark in the the viewport. I'm not seeing a setting for lighting in the viewport 2.0 settings. Could you help further please? I have skydome enabled. maya vp.PNG

Message 10 of 11
mspeer
in reply to: kenne150

Hi!

It's in the Viewport MENU above your Viewport.

Message 11 of 11
kenne150

Oh ok. I think I know what your talking about. This begins to brighten the Ai some, however, it completely washed everything out, and makes the way to bright. 

MayaVP bright.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report