Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertex Colour Display Bug - Maya 2022

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
paul
3380 Views, 20 Replies

Vertex Colour Display Bug - Maya 2022

In the game that I work on we use vertex colours for a lot of our models, and so when creating models I am often modelling with vertex colour display turned on, going back and forth editing the model and the colours in tandem.

Since swapping from Maya 2020 to Maya 2022 I have noticed a significant bug with vertex colour display.

It seems that when I perform some random modelling processes (such as bevelling for example), it turns off a very obscure part of the vertex colour display which it shouldn't be doing. This isn't simply turning off the "Toggle Display Colours Attribute" option. The model is displaying as if filled completely with black, but if you colour pick a vertex the vertex colour data is still there, and Toggle Display Colours appears to do nothing.

What I have found is that the colour channels for vertex colour display within the Paint Vertex Color Tool under "Display" in the tool settings are all being toggled off for whatever object you were working on.

So whenever this happens (which is frequently for me) I have to select my object, open the Paint Vertex Color Tool, go to Display, and toggle the R, G, and B channels back on again.

I don't even use the Paint Vertex Color Tool for my colouring, I use Apply Color for its precision.

Please fix this bug ASAP.

I will be going back to Maya 2020 until it's sorted out.

Screenshot of the option:

paul_0-1621821978300.png

Labels (5)
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
zewt
in reply to: paul

I tried bevelling a mesh, and the display channels didn't change.  Do you have repro steps?

Message 3 of 21
paul
in reply to: zewt

It's difficult to repro because I said - it tends to kind of randomly happen while modelling - sometimes bevelling is fine, other times, the problem occurs.

I have an inkling however that it happens when you perform a modelling process on an object as a whole while having it selected in object mode.

Just as a quick example of a way I can 100% repro it (but isn't something I actually do):

- new scene

- cube

- give it some vertex colour

- select cube in object mode

- extrude

The cube which was just displaying its vertex colours before the extrude is now showing as black due to those colour channels being turned off in the paint vertex color tool.

Message 4 of 21
paul

Okay so it happens to me when extruding in face mode as well, can confirm.

- new cube

- apply vert colour

- select face

- extrude

Message 5 of 21
zewt

I do see it with those steps.  I'll take a deeper look soon, just wanted to let you know I see it too.  Thanks for the info.

Message 6 of 21
zewt

I'm not sure what's triggering this, the only thing I can suggest for now is putting "polyOptions -drc true -dgc true -dbc true" in a shelf script to give a quick way to turn it back on.  I've filed a bug.

Message 7 of 21
paul

Okay cool, thanks for filing that bug - I really hope it's fixed soon! I will try using the script but I may just use Maya 2020 until it's fixed because then I just don't have to deal with it.

For extra info, a few instances I have noted down when I have encountered this bug while working today where the bug has occurred on one occasion but not on others (so the seeming 'randomness')
- when going into vertex-face selection mode on an object with vertex colours.
- when using the Target Weld Tool to merge vertices on an object with vertex colours.
In both of these situations I had used the same two functions without the bug happening, then for some reason this bug would occur on a random instance of using those functions.
I have no idea if those are very reproducible though as they happened randomly while I was modelling, like I said in the original post. So I don't know if it has something to do with interacting with something in the history stack on a given object. Whatever the cause it is happening pretty frequently and is very frustrating!
Message 8 of 21
paul

Follow up:
I kid you not, it literally just happened when I selected an object. This is getting out of hand.
Message 9 of 21
zewt

It's an odd interaction with a couple underlying things that the modelling scripts are doing.  I think there are ways that this can be triggered but the effect isn't actually refreshed in the viewport, so you'll end up seeing it later on at a time when it seems like nothing was changed (something triggers a refresh and the lurking problem becomes visible).  But I can't tell what's actually happening under the hood.

I'll let you know if I hear back (or stumble on a workaround).

Message 10 of 21
paul

Wow that's so crazy - thanks for the context! Such a strange bug!
Cheers 🙂
Message 11 of 21

Bump - any progress on this bug? I encountered it from a fresh install of Maya 2022. The only thing I did to customize my environment so far was to add my shelf from my previous machine.

Message 12 of 21

I've just checked the patch release notes of the most recent Maya 2022.3 patch and sadly there is no reference to a fix for this bug.

Double bump - I really would like to see this fixed as it straight up prohibits me from using Maya 2022.

Message 13 of 21
mcginnc

Hello - this particular issue was addressed in 2022.1 (bug # 111733). If your 2022.1 or later version of Maya still has this, please let me know asap with reproducible steps for that. Thanks, Catherine

Catherine McGinnis
Maya Quality Assurance
Message 14 of 21
paul
in reply to: mcginnc

Hi Catherine,

It's a bit late where I live for me to check that right now, but I've had a look at the release notes for the 2022.1 update and there is no reference to that bug under the number 111733 or any other number that I can see.

From memory I have tried it again since the release of the 2022.1 update and it still occurred, but I will double check tomorrow. It appears I have 2022.2 installed currently. (As well as 2020 which I currently use)

Message 15 of 21
mcginnc

Hi - yes please, if you could try in 2022.2 and it is still happening, please let me know. I followed your reproducible steps and could reproduce problem in versions before 2022.1. Thanks!

Catherine McGinnis
Maya Quality Assurance
Message 16 of 21

Updating Maya seemed to have worked. I didn't see any ques to update so I missed the fix. Thanks for the heads up!

Message 17 of 21
paul

Okay so I have tried going through the process of creating a whole asset for our game using Maya 2022.1, and have so far not encountered the issue.

I'm happy for that to be marked as fixed.

As a note though, it would be good if there could be more diligence put into ensuring all fixed bugs are noted in the patch notes! Ever since this bug occurred in the base version of Maya 2022, I had been reading the patch notes of each release, waiting to see a fix noted there so I could update, as there was no point for me to update unless it was fixed.

If it was fixed in the 2022.1 patch, it should have been referenced in the patch notes!

Message 18 of 21
paul

In fact if the patch notes are able to be amended, this bug should be listed there 🙂
Message 19 of 21
mcginnc

Hi Paul - yes definitely everything fixed or new or things we're aware of/workarounds that we know about should all be documented. I just want to ask - where are you looking for the above info? I'm kind of surprised this didn't make it in. Thanks for following up.

Catherine McGinnis
Maya Quality Assurance
Message 20 of 21
paul

Typically how I access it is I see the update listed in the Autodesk Desktop App, and click the link that says "Release Notes", which leads me to a page where I can open the release notes for that update.
Here is the page for the 2022.1 update:
https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2022/ENU/?guid=Maya_ReleaseNotes_2022_1_release_notes_html

I can't see any reference to the bug fix in this list.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report