Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDB Shading Issues in Maya with AiVolumeShader

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
genback95
328 Views, 2 Replies

VDB Shading Issues in Maya with AiVolumeShader

I'm rendering cloud VDBs using ArnoldVolumes in Maya 2019 - 

Two significant questions:

1) No matter how much I adjust the opacity and transparency in AIVolumeShader, I can't seem to get the clouds to be completely white in lighting (as compared to Maya Fluids). I've attached a screenshot with a Maya Fluid cloud on the left and a VDB on the right to illustrate the problem clearly. Although the VDB looks more realistic, it's completely gray instead of blinding white.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 5.31.57 PM.png

2) When I try to make a cloud bank of VDBS, where they intersect forms white lines, also illustrated in the screenshot, with green circles. I am assuming this is where opacities/densities overlap, which makes sense, but it doesn't happen with Maya Fluids, and it makes it impossible to make smooth cloud banks of multiple VDBS. There must be a method.

overlap.png

Thank you for your time and help, these problems are confusing me a lot and making it difficult to use VDBS in practice.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mspeer
in reply to: genback95

Hi!

1. Just increase the intensity for one or more lights or increase the overall exposure.

cloud1.jpg

cloud2.jpg

2. I can't reproduce this here, please provide a scene-file.

Message 3 of 3
genback95
in reply to: genback95

Yes, thank you for your time. Increasing the lights was a great solution, and I'm still not sure why it was highlighting the intersection of volumes, but now it is behaving normally, so I wasn't able to duplicate this again either.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report