Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV Editor Amazingly Slow

65 REPLIES 65
Message 1 of 66
timdan
17659 Views, 65 Replies

UV Editor Amazingly Slow

This post feels like a duplicate, but nobody on this forum seems to be getting any reasonable solutions for why the UV editor will just randomly start going crazy slow. It's worked perfecly in the past, now it is unusable. Any ideas?!

Maya 2017 Update 4, Windows 7, GTX 1060

+ timdan

-
http://www.timdan.com
65 REPLIES 65
Message 2 of 66
mspeer
in reply to: timdan

Hi!

Poly/UV count?

Rough Fps in UV Editor?

Tried resetting prefs?

Message 3 of 66
timdan
in reply to: mspeer

I'd have to go look at all the files with this issue, but they all very in size, poly count, UV sets, etc. I haven't been able to find a link between them, which is why I was asking a more general question in hopes someone might have had this kind of experience.

The rough fps in the UV editor is about 0.2 frames per second, as I have to wait about 5 seconds for any action to take effect, but it's impossible to be precise due to the lack of feedback.

+ timdan

-
Message 4 of 66
tony.su

It's happened in only few scene or all scenes? Could you upload an example file?

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 5 of 66
smbell1979

Edit: I'm going to make my own post about this.

Message 6 of 66
timdan
in reply to: smbell1979

Hey @smbell1979, one of the things I've found that often helps ( but is not always the issue) is to make you don't have dynamic subdivision turned on (the 3 key on your keyboard). If you have a high-ish poly mesh that is being smoothed, it really chugs in the UV editor.

Good luck.

+ timdan

-
Message 7 of 66
brian_Foley

I was having issues the same issue until I turned off symmetry.

Message 8 of 66
smbell1979

Thanks for the tips, but subdivision is not on, shader is plain lambert. After some more messing around, I found that it's directly influenced by the viewport 2.0 being visible at the same time. It's mitigated (somewhat) by turning off consolidate scene and turning on GPU instancing, both of which are undesirable and drop my framerate to super low on a 1080ti, but speed up the UV editor dramatically.  It's still nowhere near what 2017 was like.

Message 9 of 66
smbell1979
in reply to: brian_Foley

Thanks, but symmetry was off. It's most certainly a problem in 2018, 2017 with the same exact scene and viewport 2.0 settings is lightning fast.

Message 10 of 66

Is there a bug fix for this problem?

This is unbelievable slow.

Simple scene with 25 k polycount!

Any help from Autodesk?

Message 11 of 66

David, Are you using Maya 2017/2018?

I was working on a model that had multiple UDIM tiles, and I had to go back to using Maya 2015. In Maya 2017/2018, the viewport would freeze for a few seconds every time I had something selected, and the same would happen when I tried to move UV islands around. Another time, I ended up exporting a model into the standalone Unfold 3D package because it handled UDIMs much better. 

Message 12 of 66
echoform

I have the same issue with 2018.3.  I imported an fbx scene originally created in May 2016 with about 969k tris comprised of a lot of individual meshes.  The UV editor is very slow and unusable.  The whole UV window is slow to move around and editing UV's is very difficult due to lag.

I am upgrading from Maya 2016 and I had no issues with UV's in that version.  The irony is the viewport is much faster in 2018 now and fbx exporting is much quicker too.  I hope this UV editor performance issue can be resolved soon.

Message 13 of 66
damaggio
in reply to: echoform

I was wondering if Update 3 had resolved this lag, really would like to see this resolved too...funny thing is that sometimes the shells move smoothly without a problem, other times is choppy.

Message 14 of 66
damaggio
in reply to: damaggio

Isolate select your poly mesh that you are UVing and the work in the UV editor will return to  normal, try that.

Message 15 of 66
echoform
in reply to: damaggio

Thank you for the suggestion.  The isolation method works.  But sometimes I need to select a huge part of the scene at once to manipulate UV's and it will be slow in those situations.  Older versions of Maya had no issue and I don't understand why Autodesk keeps tinkering with things that didn't have any issues.  Hoping there will  be a patch for this soon.

@®oger  to be clear, scenes that are fairly large (in may case 900k tris) that are from an older version of Maya (in my case 2016), seem to slow the uv editor down.

Message 16 of 66
tony.morrill

Just wanted to chime in - I found this discussion as a result of searching for solutions to this UV editor mess.  I'm on 2018.3 and just as several others has mentioned the same scene that was fast and easy to work on in 2016 and 2017 is now impossible to get through in 2018.  No symmetry, basic geometry, not a heavy scene. 

Tried some of the suggestions others mentioned.  Made zero improvements for me.

It might be a hardware thing with Maya, but it's not because my system is lacking.

i7-6900

128GB RAM

GTX 1070

Drivers all updated... that can't be it.

It's now June 2018 as I type this btw... this thread started last year.  Still no fix?  Hmm...  looks like I need to export everything back to an earlier copy of Maya.  Disappointing. 

Message 17 of 66
damaggio
in reply to: tony.morrill

Thanks for your feedback Tony, that's very important to report these things, I don't think we gonna see any Updated now for a long time since 3 came out recently, maybe it will be better for 2019 , whenever is released.

Find a workaround if u can and let us know.

Best.

Message 18 of 66
jill.ramsay
in reply to: echoform

@echoform wrote:

@®oger  to be clear, scenes that are fairly large (in may case 900k tris) that are from an older version of Maya (in my case 2016), seem to slow the uv editor down.

Very sorry for the late reply, I'm just seeing this thread. We will investigate this.

Jill

Message 19 of 66
timdan

It's been a minute since I've chimed in, but one of the things I've noticed is that the size of the texture often makes a difference. If I'm trying to work with the UV editor with a 4K map, it's crazy slow. When i clamp the resolution of the textures, it helps dramatically.

This, however, is ridiculous. Sometimes I need the fidelity of the hi rest texture to accurate arrange my UVs. Ugh.

+ timdan

-
Message 20 of 66
echoform

Didn't consider that possibility and sad to hear it's the case.  My situation is slow UV editing even with just 1024x1024 textures.  I think the UV editor needs a lot more testing under a lot of different scenarios.  These issues seem very fundamental and not true edge cases.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report