Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using pre placed meshes as mash locators/converting instances to a mash network

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
adrian_wyer
751 Views, 5 Replies

using pre placed meshes as mash locators/converting instances to a mash network

im laying out the plants in a garden... initially i pulled in all my assets (redshift proxies) and instanced them manually and positioned/rotated/scaled them where they needed to be

but further into the project realised we need to use mash for animation control....

rather than using the placer node's position/rotate/scale and painstakingly reproducing all the placement work i have already done, is there a way to get a group of instances and convert them to a mash network?

seen plenty of solutions for going the other way... but i want to use my existing manually placed geometry, to drive the mash instanced locations... i'm guessing not but no harm in asking!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mspeer
in reply to: adrian_wyer

Hi!

Technically this should be possible with a custom script*, but there is no  built-in feature for this (as far as I know).

*You only need to create a particle object with particles at the object positions and then connect this to MASH.

Message 3 of 6
adrian_wyer
in reply to: mspeer

the problem with passing stuff into the mash network is how complicated it will get when passing instanced object source name, as well as the easier pos/rot/scl

Message 4 of 6

Hi @adrian_wyer 

From how it sounds, there is no way to preserve all the manual changes you've made when grouping the instances into a Mash network. The instances will populate across the network as normal.

On thing that might help you work around this issue would be to use Xgen instead. You could use instanced objects within Xgen instead of Mash. Ultimately however, you would still be unable to preserve your manual placements exactly.

Message 5 of 6
mspeer
in reply to: adrian_wyer

Hi!

When making use of the Paint node preserving scale and rotation should be possible, but I don't know what you mean with preserving the names. I also wonder why you want to use MASH if you want to use manual settings per instance and not procedural created settings, which is the main benefit of MASH, especially when used for animation.

If you need this only for one scene and you don't have hundreds of instances that need to be kept at the exact same position, then re-creating the instances with any other tool may be faster than creating a custom script.

Message 6 of 6
adrian_wyer
in reply to: mspeer

reviving/modifying this old thread!

new project, similar issue, open to other solutions besides mash....

lets say i bought a model off turbosquid of a entire city, and i need to be able to animate the scale/position of individual buildings for a mograph style wipe/reveal/growth etc...

any thoughts on driving this with mash? the building models in the original mesh are mostly boxes, but some have more detail... ideally i's want to use the original models/layout, but be able to distort/move the buildings based on something like mash (or ICE)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report