Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble mapping UV's because the many highlighted faces blots out the area so I can't see where being mapped.

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
JacksonLamme
355 Views, 11 Replies

Trouble mapping UV's because the many highlighted faces blots out the area so I can't see where being mapped.

There must be a simple solution to this, I'm going crazy by trying to match my topographical image to the land.  Thanks! 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
damaggio
in reply to: JacksonLamme

You have UV texture border edges selected.
Message 3 of 12

Without seeing the file itself, it is also incomprehensible from your screenshot what you refer to. Obviously the mesh is too dense for a such zoom amount. Simple planar mapping with texture applied can display the texture in your mesh, while you can adjust its placement gizmo, so that those fit more or less.

If you need more precise result, I'd recommend splitting the mesh into set of e.g. 2x2 square pieces, then map each one individually.

Post zipped MA and texture.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 4 of 12
JacksonLamme
in reply to: damaggio

I deselected that but still can't see properly.  

Message 5 of 12

thanks for you input.  When I clicked planar mapping before it gave me a swirly liquid looking texture.. If I zoom way in I can see a few details and try to line them up properly..  The file is 1.8 gigs even zipped but its an STL topography model with a downloaded image from google maps pro laid on top.  It looks like it has over a million faces if I'm looking at the right thing. I'm not sure how I would go about doing it in 2 by 2 sections.  I clicked "UV normals" to get the UV's created in the first place, bc before that I couldn't see anything in the UV editor.  As you see in the photo I'm trying to line up the features becasue I want to go in and texture on top of them with  a layered texture and mash trees and make water in the lake and so forth.

Message 6 of 12

In ANY case, that's a huge piece of geo, too hard to work with and expect slow rendertimes.
Do you necessarily need such amount of detail, pixel-perfect photographic precision? For the faraway cliffs you don't need closeup mesh resolution.
Depending on the choreography of your camera motion, leave high details for the closeup area. In any case, split the terrain to a smaller sections and optimize amount of polies. If you expect slow action over entire area, then make both high and low poly versions, perhaps consider using LODs for the automation.
Depending on the topology, Mesh>Reduce might be helpful, or some BonusTools selection aids.
And, you might wish to generate some displacement maps and work with planar surfaces instead.
Best of luck!

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,

Message 7 of 12

I plan to reference in the landscaping when I have it..  I have about 1 square kilometer in higher res in terms of the geo and photo, but the larger section is in lower resolution.  My main architecture project takes up space as well.  This is a huge project, and this is only 1 of 10 pieces going into it.  It's not just going to be the landscape either im going to have water and trees and grass on there as well.  I have a pretty great computer and if I need to upgrade to threadripper than I will do that with 2 CPU's if I can.  You can learn more about the proejct at www.skyoptional.com if you would like.  

But it seems like maya would allow people texturing large mesh objects to actually see what they are texturing.. Any more ideas about that?  Thanks!!

Message 8 of 12
damaggio
in reply to: JacksonLamme

We usually don't do terrains this way in film production, terrains are done with displacement and a photoshop texture or a layered texture network, also we use terrain generation software but you can do it in Maya as well just by using DEM 16 or 32bit tif files.

A low resolution terrain can also be made and enhanced with a normal map to keep the file size smaller.

Message 9 of 12

After watching your project's website, I don't see a point in having highres mountains at all. You are recreating your painting, which is a complex building, where those generic anonymous mountains are just a background element - don't make it stop you! Concentrate on the building and sculptures, use matte painting for the bg.
Think of MVP.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,

Message 10 of 12

I really don't know what I'm doing im just learning as I go..  but I want to build it out as much as i can!  Thank you for checking it out! 

Message 11 of 12

I wasn't sure about how to go about doing it in smaller sections but then I realized the mesh-conform tool works, so I can basically texture individual sheet and lay them onto the topography.  Thanks for your help! 

Message 12 of 12
JacksonLamme
in reply to: damaggio

I found the answer to this problem of mine.. the solution was to go to show-and disable "selection highlighting"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report