Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triangular bottle base to cylinder

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1135 Views, 14 Replies

Triangular bottle base to cylinder

Hi,
I’m new to Maya and need to make a bottle with a curved triangular base which then blends into a standard round neck after the shoulder. How do I do this smoothly?
Thanks
Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

I made it pretty fast so its a bit sloppy but do you mean something like this?

triangle bottle.png

If so, it's basically a process of creating a cylinder and getting the initial shape set up properly then merging vertices together until you create the 3 sides.

If you'd like I'd be happy to make a video on how I did this!

Please let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 15
mspeer

Hi!

If you are trying to do something like this, Nurbs and Curves will give you much more control.

bottle_triangle_base.gif

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Brilliant, yes, I'd love to see that, I get issues with any rendering afterwards as my pulling edges about gives rendering artefacts!

Thanks again

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Wow, yes, that may well work better, I need to hollow it out perfectly with a 'liquid' fill too, not having much success when I start to deform, pushing it about to get the shape!

Message 6 of 15
mspeer

Hi!

Are you talking about thickness?

bottle_triangle_base2.gif

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

How did you get that nice topology? I tried it with Nurbs and converted it to Polygons. But the topology is nasty. Did you use the Birail 3+ Tool? Perhaps I have should rebuild my profile curves 😄

Message 8 of 15
mspeer

Hi!

Use "Advanced Tessellation".

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

That looks fantastic, yes, I had an issue with some errant geometry after I’d pulled my mesh about but looks like Nurbs are the way forward.
I need to not only create a bulge for an emboss on the surface of the glass, probably using a project curve on surface and then trim it, deform the bulge bit then reattach it I guess, convert to polygons and add the emboss, is it best to use Boolean for this? But I also need a perfect ‘solid’ for the interior, matching the inside of the bottle, any ideas?
Thanks again
Message 10 of 15
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

You could use booleans and just not go through the mesh so the interior still looks fine while the emboss is on top.

Another option would be to manually place edges so you could shape the emboss that way or you could take the bottle into a program like Mudbox or Zbrush and sculpt on top then bake it to a low poly its all up to you!

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Thanks, I think I've got a lot of experimenting to do!

next is to try and make an exact copy of the interior, minus the top of the bottle's neck, as a "solid" that can be coloured to look like liquid!

Fun fun fun.

Thanks again guys!

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

I tried this by lofting several NURB circles I had deformed at various heights and got some weird results, if I tried to close the lofted surface it created a concave scoop out of the bottom of what should have been a convex curve, it was fine if I just selected the three lower ones without going further up the other 5 or 6.

What's the best way to use NURBS to get similar results to what you did there?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

You mean in the "Convert NURBS to Polygons Options" Window ? Cant find there any advanced tessalation checkbox. You are not using Maya 2019? 😄

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Probably it is made with the Birail 3+ Tool. But i am not sure.

Message 15 of 15
mspeer

Hi!

Emboss:

Booleans, a displacement map or manual modeling should all work. Of course Trim tool or other Nurbs and Curves tools are also an option, but might need more time here to get a pleasing result.

Advanced Tessellation:

You can use Settings in the Convert Nurbs to Polygons options, but i prefer to change my settings later in the history, nurbsTesselate -> Advanced Tessellation Options -> ... for interactive feedback.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums