Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The rendering is too slow with new PC

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Nicoletta.Spisso
2707 Views, 14 Replies

The rendering is too slow with new PC

Hi,

I need to help with my new workstation.

I opened with my new PC, a Precision Tower 5820, a old scene 3D that I already renderized with my old PC, a Precision Tower 7910 and I noticed that the computation times have increased for 3 times.

Precision Tower 7910

Dual Intel Xeon Processor E5-2670 v3 (12C HT, 30MB Cache, 2.3GHz Turbo)

64GB (8x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC

Nvidia Quadro K5200 8GB (2 DP, 2 DL-DVI-I) (2 DP to SL-DVI adapter)

Precision Tower 5820

Intel Xeon Processor W-2223 (4C 3.6GHz 3.9GHz Turbo HT 8.25MB 120W DDR4-2666)
64GB 4x16GB DDR4 2933 RDIMMECC
Nvidia Quadro RTX5000, 16GB, 4DP, VirtualLink (XX20T)

Can I do something to increase the performance?
Are there any specific drivers I could install to fix the problem?
If the problem is the new PC I can still change it. I would like to have a better PC than the first one, maximum budget 5000 € to use with Autodesk Maya and Adobe Premiere Pro. Could you recommend a PC? but it have to be a Dell.

Thanks and sorry for my English

Nicole

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
dgorsman
in reply to: Nicoletta.Spisso

Am I reading that right, you went from a dual 12 core processor (were both processors mounted, or just one?) to a single quad core, both with hyperthreading?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 15
mspeer

Hi!

The new computer should be a bit faster for interactive work in Maya, but the older computer has about 4 times more render power, so yes, the problem is the new PC.

Message 4 of 15

Thanks for the reply. Yes, both the processors were mounted.

So the problem is the processor?

Would you recommend an optimal PC configuration, please?

Message 5 of 15
mspeer

Hi!

"So the problem is the processor?"

- A simple calculation. Your older computer has 2 x 12 cores = 24. Thew new computer has 1 x 4 cores = 4.

Even if you take into account the about 50% higher clock speed of the new processor it may be "worth" about 6 cores of the older computer, but it would be still 24 against "6".

"Would you recommend an optimal PC configuration, please?"

- "Optimal" depends on what "you" need.

For example someone who models most of the time and only renders rarely has different requirements than some who is rendering most of the time.

Without any detailed information about your projects and workflows I can't suggest anything.

If you want  a higher render performance than with your previous computer you need again 24 cores with a higher clock speed or even more cores.

Message 6 of 15
Nicoletta.Spisso
in reply to: mspeer

Hi,

I deal with both modeling and rendering but not having a renderfarm I need a PC that mainly processes the renderings in order to optimize working times.

Dual Intel Xeon Silver 4208 (2.1GHz, 3.2GHz Turbo, 8C, 9.6GT / s 2UPI, 11MB Cache, HT (85W)) DDR4-2400
Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (includes license for Windows 11 Pro), MUI ENGLISH, DUTCH, FRENCH, GERMAN, ITALIAN
NVIDIA Quadro RTX4000, 8GB, 3 DP, VirtualLink (XX20T)
128GB 8x16GB DDR4 2933MHz RDIMM ECC Memory
1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Class 40 SED (OPAL 2.0) Solid State Drive x2
Precision 7820 Tower 950W PCIe FlexBay Chassis CL

Could a setup like this be okay?

Message 7 of 15
arcon76

I'm assuming you use the Arnold CPU renderer in Maya which would explain your slow render times on the new PC.

I would not recommend a server CPU for a workstation because you'll be paying a huge premium for a dual CPU configuration. I have the 16 core AMD 5950X which is faster than most Xeons and cheaper, allowing you to put more money into graphics card. Or if you want the ultimate render performance go for a Threadripper workstation.

The Quadro RTX 4000 & RTX 5000 are quite old, they will be slow for 3D modeling compared to modern GeForce cards. Unlike engineering or data science applications Maya does not use FP64 compute power which Quadros are designed for. However the newer RTXA workstation cards (A4000 and A5000) can still be value for money if you can find them. I just use an RTX3060 12GB as I don't need a lot of modeling speed, but the 3060 would be many times faster than your old Quadro K5200.

So in conclusion I would recommend the 3060/3070 or RTXA4000/5000, and put more money into the CPU, but definitely AMD as they are much faster than Intel for multi-threaded performance.

Message 8 of 15
Nicoletta.Spisso
in reply to: arcon76

Hi,
Unfortunately, the company when I work for has constraints on purchasing PC components.
I don't need a lot of modeling speed but a better performing machine in rendering with Arnold, I also use After and Premiere as software.
Do you think this is okay?

Dual Intel Xeon Silver 4216 (2.1GHz, 3.2GHz Turbo,16C, 9.6GT/s 2UPI, 22MB Cache, HT(100W)) DDR4-2400
Nvidia RTX A4000, 16 GB, 4DP (Precision 7920T, 7820, 5820)
64GB 4x16GB DDR4 2933MHz RDIMM ECC Memory

Message 9 of 15
mspeer

Hi!

The clock speed is about the same as in your older machine, but this PC has now overall 32 cores compared to the older 24 cores, so it should be a bit faster.

Maybe it would be worth to consider 128 GB RAM with so many cores, but it should also work with 64 GB.

If rendering is a main concern, then this PC should be a better choice.

Message 10 of 15
arcon76

It would be ok but workstation CPUs are more ideal than server. If your company can only get Intel Xeon CPUs I would suggest a single Xeon W-3345 (24 core, 3GHz base, 4GHz turbo, 36MB cache). The W-3345 was just released & costs $2,500 for the CPU lol, but it would be much faster than the two Silver Xeons combined. As a cheaper option, even a single W-3335 (16 core, 3.4GHz base, 4GHz turbo, $1,299) would be about the same as the Silvers but faster in Adobe applications.

You can see all Intel's workstation CPUs in the list here.

Message 11 of 15

Thanks a lot to all guys

Message 12 of 15

the technician of the company where I work gave me these two estimates. could you give me some advice?

IMG_20211007_181256.png

IMG_20211007_181225.png

Message 13 of 15
mspeer

Hi!

I tend to the Xeon Gold.

Even if there will be only a minor advantage regarding rendering speed for the Xeon Gold over the Silver CPU (the 2 Silvers may instead be easier to cool), there will be a clear advantage for all single core tasks.

So I would recommend the Xeon Gold for a workstation.

Message 14 of 15
arcon76

If those are the only two options I would go for the Xeon Gold. They will have similar render speed but many modeling operations in Maya are still single threaded and the higher clock speed of the Gold will be much better for that, as well as Adobe applications.

Message 15 of 15

Thanks a lot to all

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report