Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ssd or hdd

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
likeinfotech
3035 Views, 3 Replies

ssd or hdd

Hi just like to know that if maya is on my ssd can i save my projects to hdd and if i do that,when i open a project from hdd am i again working on my ssd again. i'm asking this as my hdd is slow but has room for projects and my ssd is fast for working but not much room .Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: likeinfotech

That is the general idea - use the expensive but fast solid state drive for frequently accessed parts, and use the cheaper but large platter drive for project files.  You can keep project files on the SSD but keep in mind that they are sensitive to many write operations (more write operations, higher chance of failure).  Thus you normally want to keep "read" files there rather than "write" files.  Failure rates are much lower than they used to be and it's not unrealistic to have a second or third SSD as "fast storage" instead of a platter drive.

However, unless you've got a really old platter drive they're no slouches in terms of speed.  A SATA 3 TB-sized drive with a decent cache should be more than fast enough for most uses.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 4
likeinfotech
in reply to: dgorsman

Thank you very much.
Message 4 of 4
likeinfotech
in reply to: dgorsman

Thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report