Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft shadows in Viewport 2.0?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
3205 Views, 7 Replies

Soft shadows in Viewport 2.0?

Hi everybody, I just installed the trial version of Maya 2012 on a new machine, and I'm playing around with the new Viewport 2.0 features. In the preview demo Autodesk showed that one of the new feature is soft edge shadows, but I can't find any way to activate them, the shadows in the viewport are jaggy and pixelated, even if I set the resolution of the shadow map to 2048. Increasing the filter helps a bit, but that's the same as the old versions of Maya, so where is this new soft shadows feature?

Also, I would like to point out that I installed Maya 64bit on a very powerful machine, an i7 with 8 GB of RAM and a GeForce 480, but the performance in full screen are VERY DISAPPOINTING, especially when the Screen Space Ambient Occlusion is active, the framerate drops drastically. This machine can run games such a Crysis 2 in full HD at 60 fps, how come the Maya viewport is so slow?!
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

wow, no replies... Really nobody knows anything about this?!
Message 3 of 8
valenRedBull

I don't remember seeing a Maya 2012 video that specifically mentioned a "new" soft shadow capability. Can you post a link to it?

I don't think anything new is there right now for viewport shadows. As far as I know, Maya can only show viewport shadows for spot lights and directional lights. High Quality mode will only have sharp edges, but Viewport 2.0 does soften the shadows when you adjust the Filter Size attribute of Depth Map Shadows.

But Viewport 2.0 still has a LOOOOOOONG way to go before it can compare to 3ds Max's viewport shadow display.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

I guess you're right, I re-watched the video and they didn't say it was a new feature. I guess it was the same as the Viewport 2.0 in Maya 2011. And yes, Max viewport is 100 times better than Maya (sigh!)
Message 5 of 8
MichielDuvekot3232

Did you try turning off Use Auto Focus and set Focus (.dmapFocus) manually? That's how I quickly make soft shadows.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Did you try turning off Use Auto Focus and set Focus (.dmapFocus) manually? That's how I quickly make soft shadows.

I tried what you suggested, but nothing changes in the viewport...
Message 7 of 8
Splatterbaby

Hey mate,

Yeah viewport 2.0 is still in the process of being fully intergrated.

Hopefully it wont be to long till we can see, soft shadows, hair, fur and fluids here:)
Message 8 of 8
Reachedtarget

maya_JNKDXrIJFw.gif

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report