Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoothing problem please help

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Hyperdesk
13346 Views, 10 Replies

Smoothing problem please help

maya.jpg

Hello. As you can see in the picture, while smooth-previewing I get a couple of jagged vertices and edges despite making sure all vertices are connected. Please help me resolve this. Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

@Hyperdesk

Have you tried selecting the edges that are jagged and using Normals > Soften Edge?

It's a little tough to see what's going on here you be able to attach the file? You can send it to me in a private message if you prefer. I'd be happy to help you further diagnose this 🙂

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 3 of 11

Hi,

This result usually happens from face normals. Select you mesh and go to display>polygons>face normals. Or turn of two sided lighting in your viewport>lighting>two sided lighting. A black face means the normal is facing the other way. So slect your face that might be the wrong way round and go to mech display> reverse.

Also select all your vertices and merge them at a low threshold as it could be unmerged vertices.

Hope that helps.

Message 4 of 11

Here I attached the file.

I managed to fix one of the spots but in doing so have caused more of the same problem.

I made sure there are no open vertices or edges, and face normals are all correct, also tried Soften Edge, but problem presists.

Please help!

maya1.jpg

Message 5 of 11

edge flow.jpg

The problem seems to be related to edge flow. As you can see the flow should be around the mouth but changed direction midway. How can I redefine the flow?

Message 6 of 11
Hyperdesk
in reply to: Hyperdesk

OK I fixed it by exporting to OBJ and importing it back...

Still, I would really like an answer for this problem. 

Message 7 of 11
keith112

Hi,

If you could upload your original scene that would help an awful lot with finding the solution to this. 

Thanks.

Message 8 of 11

@Hyperdesk

Got this error upon opening the file and it explains this issue.

// Warning: The OpenSubdiv Catmull-Clark subdivision method cannot be applied to non-manifold geometry. polySurface2Shape will use "Maya Catmull-Clark" subdivision method for Smooth Mesh Preview. //
// Warning: Fail to create OpenSubdiv TopologyRefiner. //
// Warning: OpenSubdiv gets different edge topology to Maya poly. //

You have non-manifold geometry on this model and that's no compatible with OpenSubdiv (smooth mesh preview) which is why it looks normal when you have the iteration at 1. You can try using Mesh > Cleanup with the non-manifold, laminar faces, polygons with zero area, and edges with zero length. But this doesn't always work.

Exporting as an FBX or OBJ can clean up odd nodes.

Please read:

Two-manifold vs. non-manifold polygonal geometry

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 9 of 11

Sorry didn't realise you had uploaded your scene.

So I found out the problem with your mesh see image 1.

You had border edges on your mesh. I fixed this by deleted the faces and using the create polygon tool to fill them back in. See my other image on how to display border edges on your mesh.

you also have a lot of poles. check out this website its great for the topology of the human face and how to use poles. http://probiner.x10.mx/forum/showthread.php?tid=4

Hope this helps

Message 10 of 11

Thank! Looks like I have so much to learn!

Message 11 of 11
fio_97

All you have to do when you have weird geometry like that is check that it doesn't have some weird double-faces (one behind another) or that all vertex are properly merged in your model. I'd recommend deleting those faces that are causing problems and making them again. It'll probably fix it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report