Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smooth Mesh in LT 2016 has some kind of innacuracy?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
566 Views, 9 Replies

Smooth Mesh in LT 2016 has some kind of innacuracy?

Hello everyone, I was modelling a car recently and after i applied the smooth mesh on the doors, i've noticed that taking a very close look in the vertex edges there was small innacuracies that could be fixed by hand, is that a problem with LT 2016 or with the smooth method? I've also noticed that even using a cube as an example

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jordan.giboney
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for posting! I did a quick search internally, but could not find any logged issues relating to this specific scenario. Since you can reproduce this with a simple poly cube, would you mind posting those steps? I'd love to be able to see the issue on my machine and then report it 🙂

Also, can you tell me what exact version of Maya you are working with? There's a chance that this may have been addressed in a 2016 Service Pack, but it would be good for me to replicate the problem in the same version as you. Here are a couple guides that can help identify this information:

Thanks again for being a part of our community! I look forward to hearing from you.

Jordan Giboney
Technical Solutions Engineer | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jordan.giboney

Hello, you use a cube, edgeloop its borders and middle and smooth mesh, then Go to Vertex mode and select the vertexes of one edgeloop side, zoom in to the max and you'll motive that they aren't purely aligned like the low poly one.

In the cube case, you'll need to zoom a lot to the point of the pivot manip center being way bigger than the vertexes, but in my model, a ca door panel, I could notice from a closer distance.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jordan.giboney

Also, i'm using LT 2016, I was using the SP3 and then decided to reinstall, still with the same "issue", I think its normal, because it happens even in Blender. BTW, can't I edit my posts? I was typing on my cellphone and it might have given some grammar errors because I'm not from an english country and the spell checker attemps to switch words.

So here's two images, one as low poly, and another with the smooth applied, note that the edgeloop vertexes are not in a straight line like the low poly one.

By the way, Happy New Year.

Message 5 of 10
mspeer

Hi!

Smooth mesh of course changes and shifts Vertex position based on certain rules.

But based on your screenshot i think you reached a general precision limit.

Computers (CPUs and graphic cards) are inaccurate, there are limits for precision and accuracy.

I doubt you can see the difference in rendered images!?

(If it's only a problem of GPU/Viewport precision it should not be visible in rendering anyway.)

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Oh, i see, but it happens that I still can move all the vertexes into a straight line, it just happens that i've noticed when I was modelling.

Message 7 of 10
mspeer

Hi!

Maybe rounding errors.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Interesting, never heard of this rounding bug until now, is it normal or a bug that's not supposed to happen?

Message 9 of 10
mspeer

Hi!

This is normal and happens based on used algorithms, OS and hardware used for calculation.

I don't want to go into detail here as this out of the scope of this forum.

You can find a lot about this in the www.

Just to show you a pretty common problem of 3d engines and usable range/precision.

Create a sphere, skin it to one joint and translate the joint(sphere) in one axis about 1 000 000 units or more.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Oh I see, thanks for the explanation, didn't know that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums