Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select By Name

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tannedfx
3429 Views, 4 Replies

Select By Name

Hi all,

Say, I have a hundred of these eyeball geometry, What should i type in the search bar (red box) so i can select all the geometry shape (green box) named eyeball but not selecting the constraint and parent (purple box)?

Thanks in advance.

select.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
trs_andre
in reply to: tannedfx

I believe selecting by name is going to be rather difficult, as the constraints include the same name...

I would code it in MEL, and maybe create a shortcut in the shelf, if it is an often used action.

Something like: check all objects, if the name doesn't have "eyeball", don't select. If it has, check if it is a constraint. If it is, don't select. If the parent is selected, deselect it. If it is not, remove from the list of objects to check. Select everything else that is a mesh. (Well you might instead check all objects' direct children to see if they are constraints and avoid selecting them)

Just an idea 🙂

André Moreira

Game Developer / Technical Artist

LinkedIn

Message 3 of 5
tannedfx
in reply to: trs_andre

Thank you for the tip 👍

Message 4 of 5
maxtv94

Just use symbol "*" that matches any string and "?" that matches any single character. You can use it multiple times in select by name. 

Message 5 of 5
vfxchris

Expanding on what @maxtv94 said. Because you have been so beautifully diligent in your naming you can indeed use the select by name using a combination of '?' and '*'. You can use:

*eyeBall??Inner_?

• * at the start means put any thing of any length here, this is just incase you have any names that may start different.
  • ?? in the middle will replace you 01 / 02 etc with any 2 characters.
  • ? at the end replaces the L/R.

And because you ended on a question mark (not a star) you are effectively saying that you can replace this  single character, and there can be nothing after it. Because all your constraints have characters after the L / R they will be ignored by selection.

Maya 2022 | Windows 10 | GeForce GeForce RTX 3070

If the post was helpful, please consider hitting the ACCEPT SOLUTION button to help others in similar situations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report