Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

See thumbnails of 3D models in windows explorer or similar

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
lookdev1990
6928 Views, 4 Replies

See thumbnails of 3D models in windows explorer or similar

Windows explorer enables one to see thumbnails for MS office, image files and pdfs

Bridge is the equivalent for the creatives, it gives also thumbnails of illustrator, photoshop and othe adobe products

Is there any kind of "windows explorer" or "Adobe bridge" style explorer for 3D models?

I have been downloading and experimenting with many models from internet, some are good, others not. But there are a lot, like really a lot of them on my hard drive. Now I find it impossible to know what each looks like, especially that their original names are not that descriptive. An explorer that would show thumbnails of most popular files would really make a huge difference for me. Is there one out there?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pshwayka
in reply to: lookdev1990

If you install the Maya Bonus tools, there is a feature called the Layout Tools Browser that lets you render scenes (or objects in a scene, depending on camera placement) to icons. It's under the Bonus Tools->Window menu.

Message 3 of 5

Windows 10 file explorer really needs this previews.  Does the Mac  finder have  it?  I know it allows  preview of Adobe files.

Message 4 of 5
pshwayka
in reply to: Kranos_Orphydian

No...but it does, however, show preview icons for .obj files.

Message 5 of 5
lookdev1990
in reply to: pshwayka

I have 3dsMax models, C4D models, Maya ma and mb, objs, blender stuff...

Do I need to render myself the previews? The idea is to browse plenty of models I have not made myself to see what they look like, without the need to open any scene. The browser should show me what 3D model to open, and not that I have open each and render and then browse.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report