Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent files list not working correctly on Maya 2023

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jemmal
1298 Views, 11 Replies

Recent files list not working correctly on Maya 2023

Before Maya 2023 I was using Maya 2020.

In Maya 2020, when I opened a file it could immediately be opened from the recent files list. This also worked in Maya 2023.0, but when I install the latest updates it the recent files list stops working correctly. I'm quite reliant on recent files in my workflow and I have struggled without them.

In Maya 2023.3, the file is only listed in the recent files list if I open the file from file explorer rather than inside maya, or if I "Save As".  I have also checked Maya 2024 and it has the same problem.

I have tried

• Deleting preferences
  • Clean uninstall and reinstall of Maya 2023.3
  • Windows 10 reset and reinstall Maya 2023.3
  • Fresh Windows 11 install and reinstall Maya 2023.3

I am using a Tongfang-type laptop, model GK5NR0O.

My systems specs are:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics (16 CPUs), ~2.9GHz

Memory: 32768MB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 mobile 6GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)

Labels (3)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
erispell
in reply to: jemmal

Did you get it fixed? I have the same problem, I went from Maya 2022 to Maya 2023. It happened on my Home PC and on my work PC. It seems like a common problem.

Message 3 of 12
jemmal
in reply to: erispell

Unfortunately not. Haven't received any response or acknowledgement on these forums. I checked with my colleagues and it doesn't work for any of them either, but they never noticed because they don't make use of it. Seems like it's definitely a Maya bug rather than something specific to hardware or OS. 

I did send in a bug report. Hopefully they'll try address it in a 2024 patch. 

Message 4 of 12
brentmc

Hi,

Do you notice whether this only happens when you get a dialog during file loading? e.g. unsupported nodes warning

Thanks.

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 5 of 12
erispell

No I do not get any dialog during loading, just "Do you want to save changes" before loading the scene.

It does not matter if I am using "Maya default" or the "OS native" File Dialog in the settings.

I did just now discover that if I save the scene using "Save As" (either new file or overwrite original) ONLY THEN does it add it to the recent files list. But simply opening a scene or saving with ctrl+s does not update the list.

Message 6 of 12
brentmc
in reply to: erispell

Hi,

Can you load a file that doesn't get added to the recent file list and then execute this MEL command to see what it returns.

file -q -errorStatus

Thanks.

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 7 of 12
erispell
in reply to: brentmc

file -q -errorStatus;
// Result: 1

Clearing the log and looking for errors after opening the scene I spotted this:

# Error: line 1: Plug-in, "vrayformaya", was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH.
# # Traceback (most recent call last):
# #   File "<maya console>", line 1, in <module>
# # RuntimeError: Plug-in, "vrayformaya", was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH.

I had vray installed for Maya 2022 but did not install it again for 2023.

Message 8 of 12
erispell

Okay I downloaded and installed VRay for Maya 2023 and now I don't get any errors opening scenes and they are added to the recent files menu. This is so stupid, I don't want VRay, I never used VRay. I only installed it once for Maya 2022 to be able to open a scene which was using VRay materials, and now its nodes are infecting any scene that I saved in 2022 with it installed?? It's like a virus.

But I am glad recent files are back.

Message 9 of 12
jemmal

Yes, I have many errors from missing plugins. When I save a file that does not reference any rigs with those missing plugins, then it appears in the recent files list as expected. 

The thing is that we have always had missing plugin errors on this project and they never caused problems with the recent files list prior to Maya 2023.1, so I hope there is potential for a fix from Autodesk. It's not realistic for each contractor on a project to have all the same plugins installed, especially contractors who might be working on more than one project at a time.

Message 10 of 12
brentmc

I am opening an issue for this as I agree that something like a missing plugin should not break the recent file list.

Thanks.

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 11 of 12
kelly_hynes

Hi all,  

This has been fixed internally and the fix will be included in a future release of Maya. Thank you for reporting.

Kelly

Kelly Hynes
Manager, Software QA Engineering
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 12 of 12
mikeliuzzi
in reply to: kelly_hynes

Timeline?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report