Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with arnold renderer

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
aidencella
283 Views, 8 Replies

Problems with arnold renderer

Hello, I am fairly new to MAYA and not experienced in rendering at all, but I have been experiencing a weird issue recently in that my materials just dont seem to be rendering correctly. Even when I create a new project and set up one simple sphere, apply an aiStandardSurface material, put the preset to brushed metal, and create an aiSkyDomeLight I get a sort of matt grey color that doesnt look at all as it should. I will provide a picture of what I mean. I downloaded a project made by someone else and tested theirs and could see it working as intended, and for the life of me I cannot find out why mine isn't working. I will include some pictures here but please let me know if any additional information should be provided.

This is what it looks like with a light in the scene and a standard ai surface set to the brushed metal preset. It should not be looking like this and doesnt look like metal at all.This is what it looks like with a light in the scene and a standard ai surface set to the brushed metal preset. It should not be looking like this and doesnt look like metal at all.

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Ιάσονας
in reply to: aidencella

probably best if you didnt use a skydomelight, try with just a directional light

Message 3 of 9
aidencella
in reply to: Ιάσονας

I have tried other types of lights but everything gets very blurry and it still doesnt look like metal. I don't think its a problem with the SkyDomeLight because I downloaded a sample project from the youtuber Academic Phoenix Plus and hers works completely fine and i dont notice anything really different at all. I can provide a picture of it working right here.

WorkingRender.PNG

Message 4 of 9
Ιάσονας

well if youre trying to reproduce it, you might be missing a plugin or script or settings i would say, something thats within the file that your not reproducing correctly, or dont have

Message 5 of 9
aidencella
in reply to: Ιάσονας

it seems like every video that i come across using the arnold renderer works completely fine and the materials work by default. Ive tried resetting preferences and i have seen people quite literally start a new project following the same steps i did and getting the correct results while i get the problem I was explaining originally. I dont know how to check if I am missing a default script or plugin. Sorry if im not giving enough information Im just not sure what to do
Message 6 of 9
Ιάσονας

if i were you id take 2 weeks and just watch videos on what youre trying to do, youre kinda of walking around in the dark, seeing that youre just new to maya, your just going to frustrate yourself,

Message 7 of 9
damaggio
Message 8 of 9
damaggio

Hi Aiden, You need to use a HDR map for the skydome to make metal shaders look realistic, hdr is commonly used for any photorealistic render, you don’t even need a light source. If your doing an interior scene you need to model the entire room and them place your lights as you desire. Also any shaders need glossiness and secular maps , specially metals. (Amongst other maps)

if you want to render without texture maps you have to adjust the shader attributes and save your own preset.

You don’t have any maps yet for your brushed metal preset, that’s why it’s not working, your specular is totally black in your first image . Make sure to read about roughness, diffuse, specular , reflectivity ,refraction and normal maps as the basics.Look at some Arnold tutorials on YouTube  so you can understand it better or take a lighting and shading course for beginners to get you up to speed.

Message 9 of 9
jairjrtl
in reply to: damaggio

yeah, you need HDRIs. https://polyhaven.com/hdris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums