Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

polyCut node new components output missing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
BurkhardRammner
473 Views, 4 Replies

polyCut node new components output missing

Hi,

the 'polyCut' node would be rather useful for my current project. Unfortunately, it outputs as a result of the cut operation only the final mesh. What I also need is the new components which are created by that operation, some sort of identifier for the 'groups' of vertices telling whether they build a closed ring or a open structure and of course the range of the individual groups.

As my input mesh is procedural, it is supposed to change based on certain conditions.

One of the downstream nodes in my node network is a 'polyEdgeToCurve' node which expects the relevant vertices in the correct order and I need these vertices (in right order) from the 'polyCut' node.

This is unfortunately one more case where the Maya default nodes are made to be destructive (in contrast to be build for a non destructive workflow).

So, any workaround for this? I cannot work with the assumption of a fixed mesh structure...

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi @BurkhardRammner

When you say the output is "missing" do you know this was a part of the polyCut node in older versions of Maya?

I don't believe this type of identifier and information as been available from this node before. That said if you're asking to have options like this from the node editor in the future I would recommend posting this on the Maya Idea Board!

Message 3 of 5

Jean,

sorry if I was unclear.

Yes, was never a feature. But it would make sense (at least to me) if thee resulting data from the cut operation would be made accessible...(resulting vertices/edges/faces).

Maya idea board: I already got a mail from autodesk, where my idea was listed as a feature request -> wasn`t that you?

thanks!

Message 4 of 5

ooh, sorry, I meant Sean, not Jean : )

Message 5 of 5

Hi @BurkhardRammner

I don't remember writing an email to anyone about their post being on the Idea Board. That said, I handle a lot of threads on every day so it is possible that may have been me!

This isn't a feature at the moment but you can search through that Maya Idea board and look to see if your idea is there!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report