Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playblast all black in Maya 2017

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
10578 Views, 21 Replies

Playblast all black in Maya 2017

When I try to playblast in Maya 2017, the video is all black. I've tried all of the available formats and compressions, rendering offscreen, etc. Running a 2008 Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950. This is a deal breaker for this release for me, so any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris

Tags (3)
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Anyone? This release is unusable for me if I can't playblast...

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous

Hey,
for me plyblas work.
Mac Os El Capitan
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)

Message 4 of 22
bram

Hi,

For me it worked after fixing something in the Preferences panel.
Maya > Preferences > XGen > Viewport 2.0. If you put the daw method from Hardware Instance to Legacy, the play blasting works again as it should.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: bram

Thanks bram. I tried that, and set every other Legacy option on, but still the same issues. I'm also getting fragmentation in the graph editor, objects disappearing out of the viewport, and other random graphics bugs, so I think it comes down to either hardware or driver incompatibility. Guess I'll give it another try when either NVIDIA or Autodesk releases an update.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

Using a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB,

Using a 30" Cinema Display and old 20" Cintiq with the laptop lid closed and an Apple adapter on the 30" and StarTech adapter on the Cintiq.

I get constant GPU Memory warnings. Always black screen on Playblasts. 

Hope they do fix this!!!

File playblasts fine when I go back to Maya 2016 SP2. Wasted too much time trying to figure out why it didn't work. Hopefully with the info provided we can get some help!

Message 7 of 22
peter

I'm also getting this issue. 

I'm using Maya 2017 Update 2

I have a Mac pro 2009 4,1 but with an upgrade so it thinks it's a 5,1. I'm using Sierra 10.12.1  I have an Nvidia Titan with the latest drivers and constantly get issues with Playblast and the graph editor. Sometimes it does work but it's completely random with no changes my end.  

Anyone else still having issues?

Peter

Message 8 of 22
peter
in reply to: peter

Ok I've tried changing the viewport 2.0 options under preferences/Display.  I've changed OpenGL core to Legacy and that seems to of fixed the issue. However if this has any decremental affect on other areas, I don't know.

Message 9 of 22
pshwayka

I'm also on a 2009 Mac Pro that I flashed to 5,1...but I am running El Capitan (10.11.6). Playblast and the graph editor seem to work okay. I'm using a Quadro K5000 with the latest nVidia web driver.

Message 10 of 22
peter
in reply to: pshwayka

I'm wondering if it's because the Titan isn't a listed supported card for Maya?

Message 11 of 22
pshwayka

Hard to say. They do list the Titan X as compatible under Windows.

Message 12 of 22
peter
in reply to: pshwayka

Interesting,  didn't know that.  Well hopefully I don't get any issues with this legacy mode. Not sure if it's going to slow down my viewport but I'll take that over not being able to preview my animations.

Hopefully this will get sorted some day. 

Cheers,

Peter

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous

I switched from my GTX 950 to a Quadro 4000 (both using latest web driver), and that fixed the playblasting issue (and other compatability issues with my Mac). The new graph editor still fragments and causes instability, but if I switch it back to the original graph editor in Preferences, I can work normally. It certainly would be nice to take advantage of the new graph editor performance improvements, but for now it's enough to get work done.

Message 14 of 22
peter

Interesting. So it sounds like it is specific Nvidia cards. 

Thanks for posting

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous

Had the same issue. Went to reset to Maya's default preferences and it worked again.

Followed these steps: 

1. In the Finder, click the Go menu and then click "Go to folder..."
  2. Type /Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/VERSION/
  3. Click "Go"
  4. Find the prefs folder and rename it to prefsOld.
  5. Restart Maya and if prompted to select the option to create default preferences.
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous

I've found a way to get this to work in Maya 2017 now, close all the other display panel windows apart from your main viewport. 

It worked for me! 

Message 17 of 22
ruthedaly

I am having the same problem with Maya 2017 on OSX. Resetting my prefs file did not work and changing the Display preferences to Legacy rendering makes it crash when I try to re open it. Works fine in 2016

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous

this was such a stupid solution that i found.

Just use a different player to check the video and it will work 😄

Message 19 of 22
ruthedaly

I need to play back in quicktime because it allows frame by frame advance which is really important when reviewing animation. I did install the latest service pack and it allows me to use the legacy rendering settings without crashing. 2.0 still produces only blank frames

Message 20 of 22
jhsu2R56R
in reply to: bram

I was having the same issue, this worked for me:

Preferences > Settings > XGen > Viewport 2.0 > Draw Method: Legacy

Maya is horrible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report