Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opacity with image – Maya crashes

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
579 Views, 7 Replies

Opacity with image – Maya crashes

In my scene, I want to set material opacity with image texture. But every time I try this, Maya crashes.
It's strange, because in the same scene, this worked perfectly well for other materials...

I use Arnold aiStandardSurface material.

Does anyone know, what the problem could be?
Thanks.

----------
Maya 2018
MacOS HighSierra
MacBook Pro 13" Retina 2014

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

Have you tried this with a different material like a Maya standard material i.e Lambert, phong etc?

What are you using for a alpha map for the opacity?

Please come back with as much information and I will see how I can assist you!

Message 3 of 8
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion I provided yesterday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi.

I just experienced the same problem today. 

I used Arnold and every time I want to set the alpha channel image Maya crashes as soon as I select the image. It is particularly strange as this worked yesterday perfectly well with Arnold. I also tried to set up a new project and restart Mayaetc. but no changes. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best, 

Mica

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I just solved my problem. The cause of the crash was the  Alpha file itself. I created it with Illustrator instead of Photoshop. I am guessing that the issue could have been the black colour. Illustrator sometimes doesn't save black as true black, so this could have been the reason for the crash. 

Best Mica 

Message 6 of 8
mspeer

Hi!

What file type and color space did you use?
Could you upload the image?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Hi.

It was a PNG file saved in CMYK (as it was also needed for print) . I cannot upload it as it is part of a Design. But it was just an outline artwork.

I double checked and the black was definitely set to something close to black but not directly black. All resulted from preparation to safe a previous file for print with true black. Might have not been an issue if I had not set the preferences to real black in Illustrator . 

Hope this helps. 

Message 8 of 8
mspeer

Hi!

Someone may correct me if i'm wrong, but everything in Maya is based on RGB, so i don't expect CMYK images of any file format to work correct, even if Maya will not crash, the colors will be wrong.

I highly recommend to convert CMYK images to RGB before using them inside Maya.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report