Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal map looks blurred. Loss of detail.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mesha135791
502 Views, 6 Replies

Normal map looks blurred. Loss of detail.

I have just baked normal maps from multiple high poly objects onto a low-poly model. The normal maps seem blurry after wards. See image below, showing the t-shirt as an example:

mesha135791_0-1665223116506.png

The original normal map is in the middle, the UV on the left and the render on the right.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

The normalmap in the uv editor could be just a low version cause you are low on gpu ram. But thats only visual in the viewport.

The render is hard to say without the scene.

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 7
mesha135791
in reply to: mesha135791

Thank you, that seems to have cleared up my concerns. I believe that the render does seem smoother than in Mudbox (the sculpting details), however, I have just added skin textures and will see what it looks like Maya. So, if the problem persists I will let you know.

Thank you for now.

Message 4 of 7
damaggio

Just remember also to turn off filtering on all your textures to keep them crispy.

Message 5 of 7
mesha135791

I am not sure how to do that- turn filtering off.

Also after I baked maps onto low poly models- the material looks weird. If you look at the image there are lines on it. Do you know why this may be? Will it look fine after I put the diffuse map on it?

Message 6 of 7
damaggio

In that case you should read all about the file attribute settings and how they work, it's fundamental knowledge one must have for shading and texturing.

In the file node attribute Filter Type is set to Quadratic which has been wrong for about 15 years now, turn it to OFF, another option is Mipmap which is also very good you should read about it Pyramid mapping.

Message 7 of 7
damaggio

that is just the render image, is the file RAW?

You can also zip the file

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report