Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mutli-Touch support on a touch screen with Surface Book (Maya 2017)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1566 Views, 3 Replies

Mutli-Touch support on a touch screen with Surface Book (Maya 2017)

Hello! I'd like to start off by saying that this is my first time using Maya, so if I'm posting this in the wrong place or even if I'm asking the wrong people then I'm terribly sorry!

I've been using Blender for a few years now to learn animation/modeling but I recently bought the Surface Book from Microsoft as I thought it would be extremely useful in future schooling. I found out about the education licensing for Maya and since I've been hearing for a long time now that Maya is one of the best software in the industry. I've installed Maya and I was really looking forward to using multi-touch support on the touch screen (something that Blender doesn't currently support, and I don't think they plan to implement it in the future.) 

On the Autodesk Knowledge Network it tells you how to activate multi touch. It says multi touch is available to Wacom, Cintiq, and Apple devices, however I've also seen videos online of people using the same features on different versions of the Surface Pro, so I'm hoping they should also work with the Surface Book?

Is there a way to get this working? I have the latest windows updates and as far as I'm aware, all the latest drivers for my system as well. In my Maya settings, (under the "Devices" section of the Interface settings), I only have 2 options: "Mouse Scroll Wheel" and "Multi-Touch Gestures". Both of these are enabled. When testing with the touch screen, no matter how many fingers I press on the screen, I only get a selection box at one finger. The other ones still show the small finger trail that windows displays, so I know Windows is detecting my fingers. When using my trackpad on the Surface Book's keyboard, if I use 2 fingers (it doesn't matter which way I move them, whether I pinch, "scroll" up and down, swipe left and right, etc.) it always either zooms in or out depending on how I move. If I disable the "Mouse Scroll Wheel" option, using more than one finger with my trackpad is completely unresponsive. The touch screen reacts the exact same as before. Disabling the "Multi-Touch Gestures" option has zero effect, the trackpad still works the same, so does the screen. 

From what I can tell, multi touch with the trackpad doesn't seem to be working, which I don't mind at all. However, it's also not working with my touch screen, which is one of the main features I was looking forward to when I bought this laptop. Is there any way at all to get this working?

I'd just like to add that I'm extremely new to Maya so I don't really know where anything is at all, maybe it's actually a super simple problem and I'm just missing something completely obvious. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jdameron
in reply to: Anonymous

I've been looking for the answer to this for some time. I too have a surface book. The weird thing is the multi touch worked at one point. I forget which version of maya (and it possibly could have been on my previous asus laptop, bad memory sorry).

But I can confirm it does work with mudbox beautifully. It's a really nice feature. But maya just got the whole mudbox sculpting tools included so it would be so much better to get the multi touch working in maya.
Message 3 of 4
tunepunk3TN5H
in reply to: jdameron

It used to work on my Surface Pro 4, when using Maya LT 2016, but not in LT 2017, which is very annoying. Why it's not working now is a mystery. It worked flawlessly before.

Why would they remove this feature on devices where it worked well?

Message 4 of 4
ellistan
in reply to: Anonymous

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report