Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-cut Issue Can't connect vertices

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
maeyoshi
2491 Views, 5 Replies

Multi-cut Issue Can't connect vertices

Hello,
I'm trying to connect two vertices using Multi-cut tool, but somehow it won't let me do it. 
It just gives me this error circular shape with diagonol line in it. 

I have attached my Maya file here and I want to connect some seperate vertices that are on the top of the door. 

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me solve it!Multicut_Problem.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
brentmc
in reply to: maeyoshi

Hi,

A bit hard to tell exactly where you are on the model from the screenshot but using Mesh > Cleanup (with Select Matching Polygons and the options in the Remove Geometry section) indicated you have a bunch of zero area faces in the top/bottom of the door.

In this screenshot I translated the top poly to show the extra faces.

screenshot_000390.png

I suspect this is the source of your multi-cut issues and you will need to cleanup the topology in this area.

--

Brent  

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 3 of 6
maeyoshi
in reply to: brentmc

Thank you so much!!
I cleaned up the topology you suggested, then multi-cut started to work properly.

But I'm having another issue. In the image attached, some faces on the top of the door are half black. I don't see any overlapping edges or vertex and face normals seem to be pointing in the right direction.

I've attached my Maya file as well.

Any ideas?black facesblack faces  

Message 4 of 6
brentmc

Hi,

For shading it is vertex normals that are used, not face normals. After toggling off face normals and enabling vertex normals it is easier to see the issue is that the edge in question has a single (smooth/soft) normal instead of two (face/hard) normals like the other edges.

screenshot_000391.png

To fix this simply select the edge and use Mesh Display > Harden Edge.
screenshot_000392.png
Note: If you want top fix a whole bunch of normals on an object Mesh Display >  Soften/Harden Edges is useful as it will set the edge to hard or soft based on the angle between the adjacent faces.

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 5 of 6
maeyoshi
in reply to: brentmc

Thank you so much, Brent!
I didn't know what vertex normals were or how they worked up until now. 
Not only I was able to fix the problem, but also learned a new thing! 

Message 6 of 6
brentmc

You're welcome! 🙂

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums