Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya to Inventor?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
alex.bannerman
2195 Views, 11 Replies

Maya to Inventor?

This feels like a silly questions but I haven't used Inventor before. Does anyone have experience importing a model made in Maya into Inventor? I've made a couple of models that my employer wishes to use to send for manufacturing. Is it possible to convert these models for use in Inventor?

I have a guy who uses inventor so it would be nice to collaborate. I am doing 3d work that is creative and doesn't require precise measurements but then there's the odd thing I'll need to crossover into Inventor that I can make to scale in Maya first.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi @alex.bannerman and welcome to the community!

I haven't done much work going from Maya to Inventor but I believe with recent versions of Maya there is a plug-in for this.

If you go to Windows->Settings/Preferences->Plug-ins you can load the IGES plug-in.

This way you can export your model as an IGES and then import it into Inventor.

Please let me know if this works or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 12

Thanks man, will give it a try

Message 4 of 12

Hi @alex.bannerman

Just wanted to check in to see if you still need help with this. Did the suggestion I provided yesterday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 5 of 12

Sorry buddy, been a busy week outside of work. Life stuff. Will take a look

Message 6 of 12

Hi @alex.bannerman

No worries! I'll check in with you in a few days unless you come back before then Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 12

Next week sometime until I'm back in the office...the guy tried to open in Inventor with no resuts...I'll need to be there to see the crack

Message 8 of 12
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hey @alex.bannerman

Just checking in to see how things are going. Have you had a chance to try the steps I provided?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 9 of 12

I exported a few different file types including your suggestion. .OBJ was the only one I could get to work. 

Message 10 of 12

Hi @alex.bannerman

If obj works are you able to work with your co-worker using Inventor or does this not solve your issue?

Message 11 of 12
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @alex.bannerman

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion I provided yesterday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 12 of 12
octadroid
in reply to: alex.bannerman

Hey I am trying to export a model from maya into inventor... I usually create a model/Part that has a design aspect to it in Maya first and want to now transfer the part into inventor in order to do dimensions and any boolean subtractive modeling... I have been able to get the mesh into inventor but i cannot edit it as it says the item has no volume..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums