Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya student version keeps crashing

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
962 Views, 9 Replies

Maya student version keeps crashing

I am trying to install a 2019 Maya student version for my daughter's schooling.  Maya will load and then crash sometime within the first 3-20 seconds. 

Background: We have received the serial number student license just fine.  We had a Maya 2018 copy on another computer last year with the same serial number/student license and it worked fine. We are installing on an MSI GS65 thin laptop with Optimus technology.  The Nvidia Card is a 1070 max q design.  I have tried the trick of setting it so only the 1070 graphics card is used instead of allowing Maya to choose.  But that didn't help.

The Output Window does show a fatal error at time of crash and then the output window quickly closes - so I took a quick screenshot.  It says this:

stack trace:

ntdll.dll!KiUserExceptionDispatcher GPUBuiltInDeformer.mll!<7FFA37E009c0>

Fatal Error. Attempting to save in C:/Users/User/AppData/LocalTemp/User.20190416.0939.ma

The error log in that folder referenced in the Fatal Error seems to point to some kind of licensing issue related to our id. I will attach the log.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

Does the crash generate an error report for you to fill out and submit to Autodesk? If so can you please submit it and let me know what the CER report number is?

Also, for your 1070 on Maya 2019 our certified GPU driver is driver version 417.35 so you may need to roll back to that driver version. You can find a download for that driver here!

Please let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 10
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous 

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I've been slammed with work.  Since my last posting I completely uninstalled Maya 2019 and reinstalled.  I'm getting the same behavior.  

Maya does not bring-up a screen to ask to send log to Maya when it crashes.

I will try rolling back the Nvidia Driver like you suggest.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I tried installing the Nvidia driver from the Link you sent but the installation failed - it said that it was incompatible with my version of windows.  We are running windows 10 pro - so I don't know why it didn't work.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

The last few times it crashed I did have the option to send an error report.  I just sent one to Autodesk.

Message 7 of 10
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous 

That driver should work fine on windows 10 so you might just need to follow Nvidias steps on this.

Also if you open Maya and just dont open any files does it still crash or is it when opening a specific file?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Sean.  Through lots of additional research online and trial and error with various settings I figured out that the problem is caused by the Nvidia Optimus technology. Even when I use the Nvidia control panel to try and force Maya 2019 to use my Nvidia 1070 max q graphics card, it still causes it to crash. 

So, I think I have found a decent workaround for now.  Before my daughter needs to use Maya for school, we can go into Windows' device manager and disable the the intel graphics card.  This seems to allow Maya to not crash.  This fix did result in Maya throwing some other errors ("Failed to finalize the color transform")  which we alleviated by switching the Maya preferences for the viewport to use direct X 11. 

After we are done using Maya for the day, we will  then re-enable the intel graphics card from the Windows device manager (otherwise the battery will drain faster when the laptop is not plugged-in).   So it is a bit annoying but at least it is usable now.  Thank you for all your help Sean.

Message 9 of 10
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous 

Glad to hear you were able to figure it out! I'm kicking myself because there was an issue in the past cause by Optimus and I should've remembered that.

As a general tip going forward, your daughter will mostly want to work with the laptop plugged in and charging. When on battery power most computers will throttle the GPU power to not drain the battery as fast so the performance in Maya/games/other applications won't be as good. 

Message 10 of 10
ayerssj3446

Also having about 10-15 crashes a day on Student version of Maya 2022

Error Report

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report