Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Retopology smoothing issue

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
torymoree
435 Views, 2 Replies

Maya Retopology smoothing issue

Ok, the problem is that I did retopology in Maya, but the tris budget is about 15k. Basically, my mesh looks very quadrangulated (is it a real word?). By that, I mean it's very squared, quads are very defined, looks like MINECRAFT character! So apparently, I need to smooth the whole model, but if I go to Mesh>Smooth. It doubles my tris budget. Now the model looks good and smooth, I can bake all the details, but the budget is terrifying! Same thing if I press button "3", it will be smooth, but Polycount tool shows that now I have way more tris than needed. So what's the solution? I need a smooth character for baking and then to use it in the game, but how to keep the low number of tris/polys? 

I know it's possible because I did retopology in 3D coat later and pasted it to Maya. The mesh was very smooth (exactly what I need), and the number of tris was low! Then I decided to close some holes here and there, add some extra polys. So I did it in maya with Quad Draw. And now I have a smooth base of model (imported from 3D coat) and some very square loops (made in Maya later). 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

please post some images

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 3
torymoree
in reply to: torymoree

SOLVED: So all you need is to go "mesh display" > soft edges (if it doesn't work, press "unlock vertices" first, it's in the same menu). Now you mesh looks smooth and tris numbers are the same.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report