Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya icons

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
shmorgyg
3615 Views, 11 Replies

Maya icons

All of my Maya file icons have turned white and they can't be read.

How can I get the icons back and the files to read as Maya files again? 

I'm desperate! I've had installation problems over and over again- and I don't want to have to UNinstall to REinstall for the millionth time! 

I'm using Windows 10 and I can't just choose to open the file using a default- at least I don't know of where to do that...

I hope someone can help!!!

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Try deleting the Maya folder from your documents, it will reset Maya to default.

Goutham Chandran
Cinematic Animator | Rockstar Games
Linkedin | Instagram | Facebook

Message 3 of 12

hai guy,

this may be graphics card error,you must graphics card setting. autodesk has occupy more memory and ram speed

Message 4 of 12

Thanks so much for the reply- I'm afraid to do that as I need the Maya folder to set shelves etc. Not sure if that solution will work for me....

Message 5 of 12
shmorgyg
in reply to: veeramani4

Hi,

I'm not sure I'm following you regarding the graphics card - Sorry - not tech savvy. 

Thanks.

Message 6 of 12
veeramani4
in reply to: shmorgyg

you do one thing right click on maya file chose open with and select maya once open on file after that all maya files icon will change

Message 7 of 12
shmorgyg

Thank you again for the reply- but I'm on Windows 10- and there is no such option when right clicking on the file. - that's windows 7. That was the first thing I tried to do. 

Message 8 of 12
Mike_Rochefort

Hi @shmorgyg!

Please rename the maya folder in your Documents directory to maya_bak. When you launch Maya everything will be reset, but you will still have your previous materials/projects to copy over. Make sure you are creating default preferences and not importing from any previous version.

If this doesn’t work, try using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to remove your graphics driver, then reinstall the latest available.

Cheers,
Mike

Always looking to solve problems, if I'm helpful at all consider dropping a kudos!

Message 9 of 12
shmorgyg
in reply to: Mike_Rochefort

Hi there,

Thank you all for your recommendations - I'm afraid I'm not to savvy when it comes to this tech stuff-- it's way above my head what you all suggest...          ( besides- I updated my graphics driver just before all of this)

I was able to get some help from a support person at Autodesk.. He was able to fix my problem with the "Open With " file solution. I Just didn't know where to look for the file default.

He found it here:C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2017\bin

I never would have found this in a million years...everything works again!

Thanks again!

Message 10 of 12
mspeer

Hi!

So the file association was broken (double click on file does not open file/Maya).

Although i don't know how Maya does this nowadays, but this was not a good way to open files and Maya in past.

I still recommend to start Maya first and then in Maya use File -> Open Scene.

Message 11 of 12
shmorgyg
in reply to: mspeer

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I normally start Maya first and then in Maya use File -> Open Scene. 

In addition to not being able to double click the file to open the scene- The tools that I was using didn't recognize the file/rig -even though I had it open within the Maya session... so I had to correct the file association for the tools to work.. 

Thanks!

Message 12 of 12
balapostbox11

wow this technique worked me, thank you.     right click , open with , choose another app from your pc, autodesk, maya 2023, bin, maya       try this path.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report