Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya does not support function keys like f13 and up

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
alexbing.art
531 Views, 5 Replies

Maya does not support function keys like f13 and up

Hey all, unless I'm mistaken it seems like Maya doesn't support function keys above f12. Am I incorrect or is there a solution to this?

functionkeys.png

thanks!

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi @alexbing.art 

true Maya does't support :

-custom keyboard keys like

Abdulla-Qaladzay_0-1594324390707.png

-media playback keys :

Abdulla-Qaladzay_1-1594324432955.png

-we can't replace some very important keys like backspace ,tab ...

-none standard keys like F13

* but we can rebind those to other keys like Ctrl + Shift + W

Message 3 of 6

Hey thanks @Abdulla-Qaladzay !

That's a shame. While Maya's hotkey editor is nice in many ways, manually searching to find empty hotkeys with modifiers is a bit tedious. As someone with actual f1-f24 keys, it just feels like wasted opportunities. 😟
To my knowledge, f13 - f24 exist the same as f1-f12 on a system level and are so infrequently used that they're easy "clean" hotkeys most of the time. Add modifiers on top of them and the possibilities increase even further.

I'd wager there's no real way to make feature requests for that sort of thing though yeah? 😖😅

Message 4 of 6
zewt
in reply to: Abdulla-Qaladzay

F13 isn't a nonstandard key, it's just an uncommon one.  There's a big difference.

Message 5 of 6
shanezwicker
in reply to: zewt

Eh.. very uncommon. I've got a Corsair RGB keyboard with 18 additional keys, but I've never even heard of one with additional F keys beyond 12. I would hope that any keyboard with such uncommon keys would at least have a downloadable software from which to program the keys.

Message 6 of 6
jbloch3MU2R
in reply to: alexbing.art

Hey, I know this topic is a couple years old, but I want to put it out there that I also would appreciate having F13-F24 supported.

Here is a list of key codes: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/inputdev/virtual-key-codes?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Having F13-24 and as many other key codes as possible would be a huge help to macro users like me. I use an old IBM terminal keyboard that has 24 function keys, as well as another macropad. Currently, I have to remap all these keys to combos like ctrl+shift+alt+a, ctrl+shift+alt+b, etc. It works but is very cumbersome. Having extra key codes available would be awesome, because as OP said, they're easy, "clean" hotkeys.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums