Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Curve Warp Doesn't Work

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
5715 Views, 9 Replies

Maya Curve Warp Doesn't Work

Hello.

I have a chain that I want to follow a curve. How can I achieve this? I found online that I could use Curve Warp, however when I use it my chain gets all deformed and doesn't follow the curve at all. What am I doing wrong and what other ways can I use to achieve this? (I'm sending an image below that illustrates what happens when I try and use the curve warp.

Untitled.jpg

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

I find the easiest way to do this would be to extrude along a curve and/or duplicate along a curve.

This video has a great example of duplicating a long a curve.

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 10
Parmenides

Claudia, when you layout your chains make sure that they are all straight on one axis like X or Z and also that you freeze the transforms before using Curve Warp. Also, you will need to make them all one mesh.  I use Curve Warp quite a lot and find it extremely useful because you easily move the chains up and down the curve as well as twist them. -Derryl

Chain.png

Message 4 of 10
sean.heasley
in reply to: Parmenides

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestions that @Parmenides and I provided work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Hlloe, thank you for the help, unfortunately I have done all of that and the same situation continues.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hello, thank you for the suggestion. That video's method, however, doesn't work either. When I try to create the animation snapshot it doesn't show all the "duplicates" of the chain. it just shows my two links of chain animating around the curve like before. This message appears:

// Warning: Cycle on 'addDoubleLinear1.output' may not evaluate as expected.  (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.) // 

Does it help with understanding this issue?

Message 7 of 10
Parmenides

When things go wrong, sometimes it is best to replicate it in a simpler manner to see what when awry.  From your image it appears your model wasn't centered with transforms frozen.

Perhaps try this:   Create a cube  and the 9 duplicates of it in the X axis. Select all of the cubes and go to Modeling/Mesh/Combine.  Then create a wire, select the wire and your cubes and Curve Warp. Does it work then? If not it may be a preferences issue. If it does work you may have missed a step with your chain links.

Message 8 of 10
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

@Parmenides has the right idea. Please try the steps they provided and let us know how it goes for you.

Message 9 of 10
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

It has indeed worked for this situation. Thank you. Now to figure out what I did wrong with the chain xD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report