Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya crashing after every playblast

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
cgsamwilson
2230 Views, 10 Replies

Maya crashing after every playblast

Hi everyone!

Maya is crashing a lot, more than it should. I can only work for about 10 mins before it crashes. It usually seems to happen after I've run a playblast. But the weird thing is it doesn't crash right after the playblast it takes a few mins and then it crashes.

I've googled around and tried and tried to figure out whats going on but I can't get it to work. Does anyone know whats going on? or have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks!

Running Maya 2016 on

Windows 10

Intel core i7 6700k

32GB of ram

GTX 1080

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
sean.heasley
in reply to: cgsamwilson

Hi @cgsamwilson and welcome to the community!

Ah yes I've seen a handful of issues similar to this one and it looks like there are a variety of causes/fixes.

Off the bat, can you try changing your evaluation mode?

To do this, go to Windows>Settings/Prefs>Prefs>Settings>Animation>    evaluation mode = DG

Let me know if this works or if you need more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 11
cgsamwilson
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hey Sean,

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, that didn't work, it still does the same thing.

And I don't know if this helps or is related but I have to keep killing the quicktimeshim process as it gives me a the error "unable to create video track check format".

Message 4 of 11
sean.heasley

Ah ok that does help!

It's a stretch, but its possible if you lower the resolution in your render globals you may get it working again.

If that doesn't work, this blog has a handful of potential fixes that may help as well!

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 5 of 11
cgsamwilson

Okay, I'm already rendering pretty low, it's at 960x540.

Thanks for the link! I've already run into that site a couple times while googling the problem. Unfortunately, none of it helped.

Message 6 of 11
sean.heasley

Hmmm ok.

I'm not sure if you found it already when you were googling but there's this stack overflow link that may help.

It might be a bit tough with the custom scripts but its worth a shot!

Edit: There's also the chance there may be rogue Quicktime process in task manager you may have to kill called 'quicktimeShim.exe'

Let me know if either of these work for you!

Message 7 of 11
cgsamwilson

Okay I'll try that!

Yeah the quicktimeShim process keeps popping up and I keep killing it. But it keeps popping up again. At first I thought that might be the problem but when I looked it up it says it provides the ability to export a playblast as a quicktime. So if I get rid of the quicktimeShim.exe from the maya program folder I'm not able to export to quicktime. Plus it also crashes when I export as an AVI.

Message 8 of 11
sean.heasley

Hey @cgsamwilson

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Did the suggestion I provided Friday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 9 of 11
joshuamerck

Your end process [QuicktimeShim] tip seemed to fix my crash-on-playblast problem. 

I've only had the issue on Maya 2017-Update5 (so far).

(HP - win10, intel 7700HQ, nvidia 1070)

I'll keep the link to Jackson's website handy as well for future bugs.  😞

Cheers!

Message 10 of 11
jjomail

I had the same problem. You can use MPEG-4 instead of h624. The file size is pretty good and you can do 1080.

Tags (3)
Message 11 of 11
mhepleRLVGS

I had a scene using the Bifrost's graph editor starting to crash when I attempted a playblast. It would just stop at a single frame and start making the computer fan whir. 

The suggestion to change the Evalutation Settings worked!!!!!

Thanksssuuuuuu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report