Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Batch Render Hotkey?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
512 Views, 5 Replies

Maya Batch Render Hotkey?

Hey everyone, 

I have a simple question. Is there a way to change the hotkey to cancel a maya batch render?

I know you can just click on Esc and it will cancel the render, but I want to change it so I can cancel the batch render with a combination hotkey such as CTRL + SHIFT + Esc to cancel it. The reason for this is because I use that key when im browsing the internet or for using other applications. Thanks to this it will cancel the maya batch render no matter what you are doing even if its by accident. I want to change this to a combination hotkey instead. Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
hamsterHamster
in reply to: Anonymous

I am quite surprised by what you say, at least about the Maya behavior in Windows.

The hotkeys are working only with Maya window active. And Batch Render, unless you render a sequence in the RenderView, is a background process, normally you can't impact it with hotkeys. Once you switch to the internet browser, the browser's hotkeys activate.

If there's terminology confusion, then try to be more specific about the issue experience.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: hamsterHamster

Its unfortunate but it has happen to me on more then one occasion where I accidently hit Esc while drawing or using any internet browser and it will stop my renders. I tried replicating it again just now and the same thing happens when I hit Esc 2 times on a quick session while browsing, watching a video and drawing and the same results happen even if maya isnt on my monitor and just rendering in the background in batch render. 

Message 4 of 6
hamsterHamster

What do you mean by 'quick session'?

I believe, the cause is within the renderjob (or some really advanced Windows scripting), not what you click while browsing or drawing.

Have you tried to launch the batchrender from a command line? On a crash, it is likely to spit out some warning/critical error message, which will give you a hint about what really happened. If you know how to launch renders from a .bat file, add a pause command, which will prevent the console from auto-closing.

Also, if not doing anything within Maya while rendering, exit it. And, keep the Task Manager open, so you can see if theres no Ram oversaturation, or no diskspace on C:

EDIT:  if you happen to be on MacOs, then you have a beautiful hotkey Ctrl+C, which is ridiculous, as it closely resembles the Cmd+C. https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Maya-Ren...

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: hamsterHamster

Meant to say quick succession instead of session, my English isnt 100%. But overall if I press the Esc key twice or more in less then 1 second the batch render will stop no matter were I am on my computer. I use Redshift on PC if you are curious. I not sure how to launch the render viewer using the command line other then going to render menu and click on batchrender. But if there is no way to change the batcher render hotkey using maya hotkey editor then I dont know what else to try. 

Message 6 of 6
hamsterHamster

Well, since the render you launch happens within Maya, it reacts to the Esc pressed, however, where you are right (I tested this too), that pressing Esc even with Maya minimized, causes batchRender to cancel. This should be reported as a bug.

Like I said, what you can do instead, and where no Esc can harm the rendering, is to do command line rendering which you can launch from a .bat/.cmd file.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report