Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya, Arnold, How to blend textures on plane and use Paint Effects tool.

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
9215 Views, 24 Replies

Maya, Arnold, How to blend textures on plane and use Paint Effects tool.

Hi there!

Im having trouble with a project Ive been working on for the past couple of weeks. Ive put in a lot of work modelling a medieval house for my showreel. I wanted to add the terrain also into the scene for a realistic/cinematic scene. Im using Arnold as my renderer.

The thing is Ive got 2 textures with bump maps attached. A Mud texture and a thin Grass texture both as aiStandardSurfaces.

I used the 'Paint Selection Tool' to make a path from the house out into the terrain where I assigned the Mud Texture to. The plane has quite a lot of faces but you can still see the quad faces as squares where the grass and mud textures meet, making it lose a lot of realism. I tried covering this up with the Grass Meshes in the 'Paint Effects tool' but this seems to be a very long process to draw the grass around the path and then converting it to polygons then re-adjusting the mesh so it clips through the terrain plane. 

I was wondering if there is a way to blend the 2 mud and grass textures together where they meet to have a gradual flow from the grass into the muddy path. I also wanted to do this so I could add muddy patches throughout the terrain for extra realism. 

The grass and mud textures are seamless and I have re-adjusted the coordinates and repeated the textures because of the massive size of the terrain plane.

I also want to scatter the grass meshes from the 'Paint Effects tool' across the terrain. I managed to get this done using MASH but this slowed down Maya so much that I was forced to revert back to a previous save, as it was too slow to continue working on the project.

So if anyone could help me basically blend the two mud and grass textures together from the meeting faces. almost like a feather effect. I did try using a Alpha layered texture but Arnold doesn't allow a bump map with that Alpha layered texture which made it lose a lot of realism. And if anyone could help me figure out a way to scatter grass across the terrain or more specifically scatter grass across patches of the terrain Id really appreciate it! My Goal is to add variety to the terrain and to make it look as realistic as possible!

Thanks in advance!

Down bellow are some screenshots of my project, so you can see what I'm working with:

Mud path created using the paint selection tool.Mud path created using the paint selection tool.Camouflaging the division of the mud and grass texture using grass from the Paint Effects tool.Camouflaging the division of the mud and grass texture using grass from the Paint Effects tool.Paint Selection tool on patch of terrain I wish to make muddy/grassy patch for realism.Paint Selection tool on patch of terrain I wish to make muddy/grassy patch for realism.Close up of camouflaging the two textures.Close up of camouflaging the two textures.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

I've done this process (vertex painting) a lot in game engines like UE4 and it is possible in Maya with Arnold and Shader FX.

While I believe it can be a bit easier to do in a game engine, this video cover how to do it in Maya and should fix your issue!

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hey Sean!

This seams like a perfect solution however when I open the arnold renderer the Shaderfx texture appears black. Any reason why? Also I really want to use Arnold as my Renderer, incase the problem is that arnold can't process the textures of ShaderFX. Bellow is a screenshot of what is going on:

Arnold Render with Viewport in the Background. Missing ShaderFX texture, appearing black.Arnold Render with Viewport in the Background. Missing ShaderFX texture, appearing black.

Message 4 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Do you have Arnold lights in your scene?

Also can you try a different renderer like Maya Hardware?

I understand you want to use Arnold I would just like to narrow down what may be causing this issue!

Let me know how that goes for you!

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous

Yes I have a few Arnold Lights in the scene. It seems to appear in Maya Hardware 2.0 Renderer.

Here a screenshots of terrain and House with different Renderers:

Maya Hardware 2.0 RendererMaya Hardware 2.0 RendererMaya Software RendererMaya Software RendererArnold RendererArnold Renderer

Message 6 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for testing this out!

It may be an issue with Paint Effects not being able to be rendererd by Arnold depending on what material you used for the ground.

How did you set up the textures with paint effects? Did you set them as Arnold materials or by using a Maya shader like Lambert?

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous

Hey Sean, thanks for being so helpful 🙂

Yeah I just checked and the ground has a lambert attached to it. I thought that shaderfx was its own texture/shader. I didn't realise it still had to have an arnold or maya shader attached to it still. Im a bit confused however, how can I assign an aistandardsurface to replace this lambert?

Bellow is a screenshot of the Attribute Editor:

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 19.52.28.png

Message 8 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

You should be able to simply assign a new material to it and make it an arnold shader.

You can do this by holding down right mouse and selecting 'Assign a New Material'.

Let me know if that works for you!

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous

I just tried assigning an aiStandardSurface shader but it replaces the ShaderFX shader. I tried adding the ShaderFX shader back but then it replaces the Arnold Shader. I must also note that the lambert1 is still there even when the arnold shader is assigned as seen bellow:

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 20.39.27.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-20 at 20.39.44.png

Message 10 of 25
mspeer

Hi!

1. Layered Texture works with Bump + Arnold.

2. I recommend to paint R/G/B and not Black/White, so you can control 3 textures/materials.

paint_ground.gif

3. For the grass i recommend to use a procedural approach like MASH or XGen in this case, something that works with textures/mapping.

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Hey mspeer!

I just tried this and I couldn't figure out how to get the nodes in the graph network to work properly. I followed the graph from the GIF but I couldn't figure out how to assign each texture to a RED / GREEN / BLUE channel?

Message 12 of 25
mspeer

Hi!

You don't assign the textures to the Color Channels, you drive the Alpha of every texture in the Layered Texture node with the individual Color Channels.

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous

I just tested this out and it makes the plane red? I don't know if I've done it wrong or not. Bellow is a screenshot of the Graph Network and the result I'm getting:

Plane turned red.Plane turned red.Layered Texture Graph Network.Layered Texture Graph Network.

Message 14 of 25
mspeer

Hi!

You need 2 materials, one for rendering (aiStandardSurfaceShader) and one for painting (for example phong).

Check my Network.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous

Hey mspeer!

I think I'm starting to make some sort of progress now. All three textures are showing, however, sadly each are red green and blue. Down bellow is a screenshot of the result with the graph network. Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 17.53.23.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-21 at 17.52.56.png

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous

Hey mspeer. Sorry I just checked in the arnold renderer and the textures show up just fine! Thank you so much! Your a life saver! Just a few more things though.

How can I scale each individual textures? As each are seamless and I want to shrink the size of each as e.g. my pebble path texture, the rocks are too big. And when attaching a bump map how will I attach a bump map for each texture?

Thanks!

Message 17 of 25
mspeer

Hi!

1a) Use place2dTexture (Repeat UV)

1b) You can also assign unique UV Sets to every texture.

2) You have to merge the bump textures/maps before connecting to the Arnold material, because there you have only 1 input.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous

When you say merge the bump textures/maps, how do I go about doing that? Do I merge them in the graph networks somehow?

I want to be able to have a different bump for each texture? by merging them will they each have the same texture or something? for example would the grass have rocky bumps because of the merge? Sorry I'm just a little confused.

Message 19 of 25
mspeer

Hi!

There are many ways how to mix textures by using different nodes (also Utility Nodes) available in Maya, one way would be to use a second Layered Texture node. Keep in mind that a bump map is just a simple texture.

Message 20 of 25
Anonymous

Hey Mspeer! That did it! Using a Layered Texture allowed me to use all 3 bump maps! Thanks!

I think my polyPlane may be bugged in my project. When I go to paint with the 3D Paint Tool, Instead of Painting like a brush smoothly through all the faces, it repeats on each face of the terrain. Any idea why? Flooding the terrain works fine. Bellow is a screenshot of whats going on. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 22.48.13.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums