Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya After Effects Live Link

41 REPLIES 41
SOLVED
Message 1 of 42
mgr0704
8568 Views, 41 Replies

Maya After Effects Live Link

Since I updated to After Effects 18.4.0 I have lost my Live Link to Maya. I can open it on the Maya end, but it does not show as a choice in Window>Extensions in After Effects. When I try to download the plugin from Autodesk again it says it is already installed. When I follow the manual install instructions to place the com.autodeskmaya.livelink folder in the correct Adobe location, it does not correct the problem. I am starting a paying job and really need this plugin for exporting AE tracking cameras to Maya. Thanks.

41 REPLIES 41
Message 2 of 42
misha123
in reply to: mgr0704

The After Effects extension hasn't been updated in a while and so doesn't work with the current version of After Effects. I was able to get it to work by modifying a couple files. Extract the attached files to the com.autodeskmaya.livelink folder. The extension panel should open up but there is still a bug. Livelink still cannot send/receive live data between packages but you can still import and export JSON files between packages.

Message 3 of 42
misha123

So, I looked further into why Livelink still cannot send/receive live data between packages. It also comes from a Maya script needing an update as well. Extract and Copy the attached client.py script to your Maya folder's MayaToAE folder and overwrite the script already there or rename the old one. I only needed to change a couple lines of code. On my system the file path is Maya2022/plug-ins/MASH/scripts/MayaToAE/client.py .

After which restart Maya, open Adobe After Effects Live Link panel, restart After Effects, open Autodesk Maya Live Link panel.

Message 4 of 42
mgr0704
in reply to: misha123

Thanks so much.

Best,

Mike

Message 5 of 42
HoodwingsFX

@misha123 

Thanks for the updated files! It now appears in the Window - Extensions menu in After Effects. But for both versions 18.4.2 (2021) and 20.0.0 (2022) no window pops up when clicking it. Did you get it to work?

(I'm using Maya 2022.2)

Best,

/ Dan

Message 6 of 42
mgr0704
in reply to: HoodwingsFX

Hi misha123,

Sorry, am so slammed with work, do not have time to sort it out. Just using older versions as work around for now. Thanks.

Message 7 of 42
yooofi
in reply to: HoodwingsFX
Message 8 of 42
a.elhoni

Thank you very much,

For me I got the plugin running on Maya 2022 using python 2

But when I have upgraded to Maya 2023 I could not use python 2

Your client.py did the trick!

Thanks again,

Ahmad

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 42
yooofi
in reply to: a.elhoni

can you explain what do you mean by "client.py" what exactly did you do? I didn't test 2023. 

Message 10 of 42
a.elhoni

You can Download client.py from earlier Message by @misha123 and replace it to

Maya2023/plug-ins/MASH/scripts/MayaToAE/client.py

Message 11 of 42
a.elhoni
in reply to: yooofi

You can Download client.py from earlier Message by @misha123 and replace it to

Maya2023/plug-ins/MASH/scripts/MayaToAE/client.py

Message 12 of 42
wes_denham

Does this work for Maya 2023 and AE 2022?

Message 13 of 42
wes_denham
in reply to: wes_denham

Tested and CONFIRMED this works with Maya 2023 and AE 2022! Thank you so much Misha123! The client.py file did it. I have been trying to get this to work since Maya 2019.

Message 14 of 42
yooofi

thank you @misha123 , I updated the thread so it will also be available here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Maya/comments/n5aut7/comment/ic8e8k9/

Message 15 of 42
mgr0704

I have finally been able to get back to this thread. I am using Maya 2022 and After Effects 2022. I have followed the instructions below.

I am obviously doing something wrong because, even though the choice for Maya Live Link now shows up in AE, it does not open a live link window. Works fine on the Maya side. Any ideas?

1. go to this path:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CEP\extensions\
    and extract the folder in this zip to there. it's the after effects extension with the xml files already fixed.

2. go to this path:
    C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2022\plug-ins\MASH\scripts\MayaToAE
    and extract the file in this zip to there. overwrite the existing one. it's the maya extension fixed.

Message 16 of 42
yooofi

I have made sure again that this works in ae 2022 and maya 2022. try uninstalling the extension from Ae, and re-do the whole process. 

Message 17 of 42
mgr0704

Hi yooofi,

I did as you said and get the same result. I just have to extract that zip file to the extensions folder, right, nothing else?

Message 18 of 42
yooofi

yes. in the maya folder you overwrite the current python script (client.py) 
and in the after effects folder you place the whole folder as is like this

yooofi_0-1655565113519.pngyooofi_1-1655565165723.pngyooofi_2-1655565210738.png

Message 19 of 42
mgr0704

Screenshot (29).png

Yeah, it all looks proper, but no link window opens in AE. The way it worked in the past is it would just open a detached window in AE and in Maya. Maybe it is opening the live link, but not displaying it in AE? I am not an expert on all things AE. Could it be hidden in the interface somewhere?

Message 20 of 42
mgr0704

Also, there are many versions of After Effects 2022. I am using the latest. Could that have anything to do with it?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report