Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2024 "unsmooth" creates corrupt geo

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
johnkeates2865
243 Views, 4 Replies

Maya 2024 "unsmooth" creates corrupt geo

I sent a bug report with the official form but I have no reply saying that it was even recieved and the form had no way to attach files - so adding here also:

The new "Unsmooth" modifier is great to see but seems to create corrupt geo!  To reproduce:

> Make a torus

> Apply the "Unsmooth" deformer

> I Find I now can't use the multiCut tool to split edges. Also, if you now apply "Smooth", the geo looks spikey and there are odd ghost edges (image attached). 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

If you create a torus you have first to use smooth to get a smoothed surface.

The unsmooth deformer is inverse smooth. Its needs to used on smoothed surfaces.

Its ment to be used on meshes coming from sculpting tools. Its not a reduce tool.
In the case of a torus it does work cause it might find a similar subD than a smooth but its not.
Thats why its failing in your case.

As you can see on my example it does work fine.
unsmooth.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 5
brentmc
in reply to: johnkeates2865

Thanks. We've opened an new issue on this for investigation.

As mentioned in the other reply this function is for unsmoothing subdivided surfaces but I would have expected an error message. (like what happens when you try to run unsmooth on a default sphere) 

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 4 of 5

Yes, there should be an error message blocking you from unsmoothing a mesh until it gets corrupt. 

The thing is, there is no clear way to know if you have unsmoothed too much.

Actually, I did test before with smoothing before unsmoothing and I got the same corruption, but that is because I unsmoothed as much as I could.

In short - the tool shouldn't produce corrupt geo 🙂

Message 5 of 5
syracoj
in reply to: johnkeates2865

We have logged MAYA-128650 against this issue on your behalf.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report