Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2020 scene won't open

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
introbuck
2266 Views, 14 Replies

Maya 2020 scene won't open

Hi! Probably this is the biggest error i faced working in Maya 2020. I mean today i tied to open scene i was working in 2020 and it just don't open at all. So i tried to open with 2018 and everything starts and works as it has to. So i deleted some objects in scene that preserve that file to be opened in Maya 2020 (in my case that was an outline made from the simple text) and than it started running within 2020. That's the strangest thing i ever faced. Also when the scene in 2020 won't open the task manager shows that cpu is loaded up 100%!!! Still my pc works as always. In additon, then i deleted that outline text in 2018 that don't let all entire scene to be opened in 2020, as i said before, it opens in 2020, but as soon as i add another outline text (just one simple text OMG) the scene won't launch anymore again... I reinstalled 2020 and also delete prefs folder. The one thing you may suggest is simply clear history, but that don't work and moreover, the scene contains blend shapes and so they simply dissepears. So the only thing i suppose is that is global glitch of 2020 verison, because 2018 runs that same scene with any changes i made

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
brentmc
in reply to: introbuck

Hi,

Are you able to provide a scene that shows the issue?

Also, what is the exact version of Maya are you running and what OS etc.

Thanks.

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 3 of 15
introbuck
in reply to: brentmc

Scene doesn't matter, trust me. I figured out that maya stops launching when scene objects exceed 199 objects. For example i have simple scene with 199 cubes and when i save and reopen it just runs as usual, however, when i add another cube to that scene (so summary 200) and do the same steps, maya just freeze and task manager shows cpu loaded up 100%. All as i mentioned. Was browsing on google for couple days and still not info. Found only pretty similar to my case https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-modeling/full-scene-geo-refresh-with-sculpt-tools-over-200-objec... post but that's not my issue (but still close). 

Win 10

Maya 2020

Latest Nvidia drivers and also rolled back to previous just to test - no result

Message 4 of 15
brentmc

Hi,

That sounds very strange!?

Did you try switching your Viewport 2.0 Rendering Engine to Direct X under Windows > Settings / Preferences > Display and restarting Maya to see if that makes any difference?

It can be helpful to tease out graphics card/driver issues as some issues only show up with OpenGL...

Thanks.

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 5 of 15
introbuck

yes, i tried - no results

Message 6 of 15
brentmc

Bizarre. I haven't heard of this issue before.

I'll ask around but in the meantime what is the exact version of Maya are you using? (2020.0, 2020.1 or 2020.2)

Thanks.

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 7 of 15
introbuck

I have vanilla 2020. By the way i also have theory that Maya 2020 is not optimized to work with low weak cpu/gpu and on this computer i have exact that components. When i will have a manage to run same scene on much better pc i would defenetly tell you, still for now i haven't found a solution.

Message 8 of 15
syracoj

this is interesting though:
"was an outline made from the simple text"

we would still love to have your scene file so we can look further into this please. If you can forward it to us that would be great. You may need to zip it in order to add it as an attachment here. 

Message 9 of 15
brentmc

Hi,

200 objects might be the threshold when background material loading kicks in.

Try setting material loading to immediate in the Display preferences to see if that makes a difference.

screenshot_000326.png

Note: We are not aware of any problems where this would lead Maya to hang so is there anything unusual about the materials on your geometry?

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 10 of 15
brentmc

Hi,

Can you also provide more detailed info about your machine? Processor, memory, graphics?

Thanks.

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 11 of 15
introbuck

OMG I AM SO GLAD YOU TELL ME THAT! Really, everything just STARTS! I would never thought that this issue can be caused by material loading mode. Thanks you so much! Hard to imagine how many time i could waste hiding stuff every time i finish my work. You guys do your job nice! THANKS!

Message 12 of 15
introbuck

btw does changing that option affect on materials display or something wich may work different? Just in case to knew the reason

Message 13 of 15
brentmc

Hi,

I'm glad we were able to solve your issue.

That setting just loads materials in the background (on other threads) so your scene opens faster but won't affect anything else.

Can you please tell us what CPU, GPU and memory you have in your computer because it will help us to ensure this issue is fixed in a future update. Our best guess is that your machine doesn't have a multi-core CPU but that doesn't seem likely in 2020. (when even our mobile phone have multiple cores!) 🙂

Thanks.

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 14 of 15
introbuck

As a said i work on two machines with big difference in system specs. So this pc has: Intel Core G4400 3.3 Ghz

Nvidia 1050

12gb RAM

So that's pretty low, i know

Message 15 of 15
okorochaalfred

Thanks alot been on a scene for days now and all of a sudden I get the same issue but this solved it . thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report