Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2019 freezing when trying to save a scene with MASH instancing in it, help?

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
devin.apostle
3114 Views, 39 Replies

Maya 2019 freezing when trying to save a scene with MASH instancing in it, help?

I have a scene i'm working on with a tree that i'm trying to cover with flowers using MASH. It all works fine until I go to save. When I try to save Maya freezes, it does this if I hit save or save scene as. In the scene I have a fairly highpoly tree, a copy of the branches as a MASH mesh guide for ID Node and 5 variations of a flower that i'm trying to scatter along the branches. Everything seems to be going fine until I go to save. I've tried deleting all history before saving and it makes no difference. please help.

I've also run into a problem where maya won't let me have 2 mash instances in the same scene without one of the ID nodes breaking and just dispersing mash instances randomly around the whole scene. 

39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40

Hi @devin.apostle 

Can you try unloading your MASH plugins and then re enable them?

If that doesn't help, when you get a chance can you please zip and attach the scene file here or via dropbox/google drive or another file sharing program so I can take a look at it? If the file is confidential or under NDA please send it to me in a private message instead of posting it here.

Message 3 of 40

Thanks for the suggestion  @sean.heasley, unfortunately didn't seem to help. unloaded and reloaded, trying both with the scene open and without a scene, unloading then reloading and opening the scene. 

It still freezes on save. It'll save with just a mash network in the scene. But when I add an ID node and set distribution to mesh, it will all work as intended but when I try to save the scene Maya stops responding and stays frozen.

I even can make a new scene make and recreate the freeze with all fresh cubes.

It also freezes if I set MASH to mesh distribution and try to save without even connecting a mesh to the ID Node distribution.

Message 4 of 40
mspeer
in reply to: devin.apostle

Hi!

No problem here with Maya 2019.1 .

Message 5 of 40
devin.apostle
in reply to: mspeer

Tried updating from 2019 to 2019.1, still having the same issue no difference 😞

Message 6 of 40

with further testing, I found out it'll save when i'm trying to mesh distribute 1 mesh. but when I try to distribute more than one mesh it will freeze. So at least now I know I can work around the issue by using multiple mash nodes rather then distribute multiple meshes with one.

Message 7 of 40
mspeer

Hi!

No problem here, even with multiple IDs/objects.

Message 8 of 40
sean.heasley
in reply to: mspeer

Hi @devin.apostle 

I'm having trouble reproducing this as well.

Can you possibly try deleting your settings/preferences and then try re enabling MASH and see if this still occurs?

Message 9 of 40
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @devin.apostle 

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 10 of 40

Unfortunately deleting the preferences and creating a new default prefs folder did not fix the issue on my end.

Message 11 of 40

Hi @devin.apostle 

When Maya freezes does it crash? If so does that crash generate an error report for you to fill out?

Also, please check your GPU driver and make sure the driver version matches with our certified hardware list.

You can find our certified hardware list here!

Message 12 of 40

When the freeze occurs maya stops responding and I have to force close the program. So no crash report. I have a geforce gtx 1080 graphics card with driver version 430.86.

Message 13 of 40

Hi @devin.apostle 

If the crash is occurring even with just cubes there be something corrupted internally with your Maya. At this point you may want to perform a clean uninstall/reinstall of Maya.

If that doesn't work, could you take this same scene into an older version of Maya like 2018 and see if it still happens?

Message 14 of 40
TheBlack95

I am having the same problem with it freezing when it has 2+ MASH networks. I have tried creating new prefs, created the same scene twice with saving at different stages, updating maya to the latest version, and also a clean installation. Any other ideas on what this issue could be?

Message 15 of 40
Stenwins
in reply to: TheBlack95

I'm having the same issue, and I would like a fix or workaround soon.
I used one mash network to scatter objects on a mesh surface -> Created another mash network to scatter different objects on the same mesh surface. Everything works fine until I hit save, then it just freezes and I am forced to force close the software.

This is incredible frustrating, hopefully it can be fixed soon!

Thanks!

Message 16 of 40
damiant
in reply to: Stenwins

I have exact same issue and I'm running a geforce gtx 1080 graphics card as well. 

I'm also experiencing other weird issues as detailed here: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-forum/objects-disappearing-from-viewport-and-cause-arnold-crashe...

Has there been any update on this -- maybe its 1080 related??

Message 17 of 40
damiant
in reply to: damiant

It is not due to graphics card, I swapped mine out for a 970 and same issues arise. 

What cpu do you have, I'm on ryzen 1700x

Message 18 of 40
s__kk

I am having the same problem.  Also in the same context of mesh and mash. 
My GPU is AMD, so it is certainly not GPU related when we have the same error with two different video cards. 
I'm trying to put a mesh on a cube, I have made the project 5 times, same problem. So on the good side I've gotten great at using the tools, on the bad side I can't save what I make. 

I need this for a design fiction project, with a 2 month deadline. It would be great if this could be resolved soon. 

Message 19 of 40
devin.apostle
in reply to: s__kk

I found if each mesh is its own network I could still save. So I was trying
to distribute multiple flower shapes onto tree branches. If I made one MASH
network that tried to distribute all the flower meshes Maya would crash on
save. But if I made a MASH network for each individual flower mesh I could
still save. So not ideal, and it doesn't work quite as well as how it
should work, but it is a potential workaround for you to try as well. Good
Luck
Message 20 of 40
gerador20

I can confirm this issue. it happens on Maya 2019.2 as well. 

I was using 2 FBX files of some pine trees both were somewhat high poly 1-3 million poly count 

My steps to Repo

1.Select both trees and add them in to a mash Instance network 

2.Create a plane object 

3.Set distribution to Mesh and use the Ground plane as the input mesh 

5.Add a ID node set value to 2 

6.try to save scene Maya completely freezes and has no response 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report