Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2019 and E-on Vue Plugin - Can't render scene with Arnold?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
a.wilsonator
3250 Views, 13 Replies

Maya 2019 and E-on Vue Plugin - Can't render scene with Arnold?

Has anyone successfully rendered an E-on Vue scene created in Maya 2019 using Arnold?* In the E-on Vue documentation there are steps for setting up the cameras to render with Vray and Mental Ray but I cannot find any help in making it work with Arnold. I have tinkered with it but it only seems to render objects native to Maya (if lit with Arnold lights) and it will not recognize anything that is created using the Vue plugin tools. ('Maya software' render also failed to recognize the Vue scene.)

*The E-on website says that Vue scenes can be rendered with Arnold but I haven't found any examples of someone doing this.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Hi @a.wilsonator 

Thanks for posting! Have you had a chance to reach out to e-on support? They may have access to internal documentation that lists specific compatibility requirements for their scenes and Arnold - since it's not made by Autodesk, our support options are limited 🙂 

My theory is that there may be a limitation tied to a specific version of Maya and/or Arnold. Just a guess here since I do not have access to it 🙂 If you do have the time to reach out to them, please keep us posted on your findings! We would love to resolve this thread for other Maya users experiencing a similar problem.

Thanks for being a part of our community!

Jordan Giboney
Technical Solutions Engineer | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 14

See "Converting VUE Objects into Native Objects" on page 1128 of the Vue Reference Manual.

(I just downloaded the vue trial)

Open the Integration Plugin World Browser and select the object you want to convert, using the contextual menu (-> Convert to XXX Object) When you convert an object, VUE offers to customize geometry and material maps options. This editor is quite similar to what you get for the Export option. Once converted, the object appears among the native objects.

And on page 1132:

After Conversion

The object is no longer rendered by the Integration Plugin render engine: it behaves now like
any other native object and cannot be edited anymore with VUE tools. With VUE content converted
to a native format, you can now use any renderer you wish such as Arnold, VRay RT,
Octane, Renderman, etc.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 4 of 14

Thanks for the rapid response 🙂

I had seen some instructions for other renderers in the Vue manual but had completely missed this. 

Excited to try it out! Will post an update. Thanks again. 

Kind regards,

Andrew

Message 5 of 14

Hi @a.wilsonator 

Hope you are doing well! 🙂 Did you have a chance to try out @Stephen.Blair's suggestion? Any success?

Thanks for being a part of our community!

Jordan Giboney
Technical Solutions Engineer | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 6 of 14

Hi sorry, was out of office until this afternoon.

Anyway, after many spinning pinwheels.. a small victory.

A_Small_Victory.png

A pyramid created with the Vue plugin has been immediately recognized by Arnold (but only bounding box seen in the main view). Currently showing perspShape camera render but also works with Vue Main Camera.

Will try some more now and get back to you.

A

Message 7 of 14
a.wilsonator
in reply to: a.wilsonator

So.. tried some more very basic object conversions. 

Pyramid and terrain converted with basic geometry only (then assigned aiStandardSurface) and rendered with Arnold:

Vue_pyramid_terrain_persp.png

(persp camera)

Vue_pyramid_terrain_camera.png

(Vue Main Camera)

Anyway lots of issues I don't understand. It seems to work most reliably when everything is converted at the same time. More complex conversions didn't seem promising but perhaps my 2013 iMac is struggling with it more than others would.

Not sure why I can't see the objects in the viewport after they've been converted.

Will experiment some more with a tree and an atmosphere (usually ends up with endless pinwheels or invisible objects tho). 

If anyone has any advice I'd be glad to hear it - my limited experience with Maya may be compounding the problems.

-Andrew

Message 8 of 14
a.wilsonator

Well rendering the converted geometry can be done. 

Couldn't work out exporting atmospheres, water, etc - hopefully there's a way. If not, I think just importing the 3D geometry as .fbx (etc) would be less hassle. 

Vue_landscape_w_torus.png

Vue_tree_Arnold.png

Vue_land_tree.png

Message 9 of 14

hi  i have a question, i am a maya 2018 user, and i use mental ray nvida to render vue 2016 inside maya2018 but if i buy maya 2019 and vue R3 , i couldnt render with mental ray anymore, i mean big Vue scene inside with atmosphere and trees with maya, your example is ok for small object and terrain, but what about the vue materials and light and atmosphere, i think eon made a big mistake or i can forget mental ray, thank you for your answer.

Message 10 of 14
damaggio

This is easier to do entirely in Maya than using an outside package and is also much more reliable  specially with Arnold.

Message 11 of 14

There is no way to render a complete original Vue X3 scene in Maya 2019, i think autodesk should have buy Eon to solve this big issue ,  Eon vue is good for atmosphere and landcapes, but what about mocap, of big vfx, i don't think  eon software is on the right way, more directly on the wall !!!! 

Message 12 of 14

, the ony way to render a complete Vue Scene in maya is to use mental ray, i use maya 2016 for vue render inside maya, nothing to convert and the quailty is very good and the render is very fast, explanation, Eon Vue engine is set to render in vue with mental ray, if you want to render with arnold or Vray engine, Eon had to find a financial arrangment with arnold and Vray, because of money, they dont want to give eon a license, but nobody think that the customers are more importantn than the shareholders , its just a quetion of money, so we cannot render 3rd party software we Vue 2021 in maya 2020 in integration.

Message 13 of 14

Finally the best way to render is to use VRAY in for example maya 2020, when you installed VUE , you to choose VRAY5 in my case and that's it, you can now render scene from vue integration in maya, its the better way , better than converting the objest and now you have the Vue atmosphere in maya.

Message 14 of 14

Render with VRAY in maya is the best way, just choose Vray when you install VUE.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums