Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2018 weirdness: Left mouse button doesn't move manipulator

55 REPLIES 55
SOLVED
Message 1 of 56
Anonymous
21834 Views, 55 Replies

Maya 2018 weirdness: Left mouse button doesn't move manipulator

Just installed Maya 2018, and for some reason I can't move/scale/rotate objects or components using the left mouse button the way we have in every other version of Maya ever. My middle mouse button will move it, but the left button just draws out a marquee. Please tell me this is something that can be fixed and isn't some new maddening feature.

Also, I can't isolate an axis on the move manipulator by clicking on one of the arrows. These are crazy problems to have.

UPDATE: Wow. I just also realized that even when I move it with my middle mouse button, it only moves relative to camera and never only moves in the direction of the manipulator arrows. In other words, it's almost impossible to move it only in the x, y, or z axis. This is bizarre.

55 REPLIES 55
Message 41 of 56
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

go to
Perferences - under DISPLAY - change Viewport 2.0 (at bottom)
rendering engine - to  directX11
default viewport - to legacy (if you don't need it on)

under SETTING - Animation (still in preferences)
evaluation - DG

gggg
Message 42 of 56
Anonymous

just install mantel ray for fix this problem

Message 43 of 56
Anonymous

Hey! Thanks for the tip, it works.

"Window > Preferences > Display > Rendering View >  (Change "Rendering Engine" 'Core profile' to 'Open GL - Lagancy' > Save."

Message 44 of 56
Anonymous

"Window > Preferences > Display > Rendering View >  (Change "Rendering Engine" 'Core profile' to 'Open GL - Lagancy' > Save."

Restart Maya 2018

Solves the issue.

Thanks.

Message 45 of 56
Anonymous

Thank you!

If you really know what you just did! I should give half of the payment....THANK YOU!!!!!

Message 46 of 56
Anonymous

= SOLUTION =

Windows > Settings/Preferences > Preference > (dialog box appears) click display section on the left > scroll down to find "VIEWPORT 2.0" Section > Switch drop down selection to "OplenGL - Legacy"

Fixes problem where the manipulator arrows are intercepted by a marque selection of the mouse curser

Message 47 of 56
Anonymous

Thanks for the solution. This was driving me crazy.

Message 48 of 56
Anonymous

I have this version of this issue.  I just punched my mouse.  Help!

Message 49 of 56
Anonymous

I had the same weird thing this morning. Last night, I installed the latest video driver (397.31) for my GeForce 750ti. This morning, I couldn't move anything with the left mouse button. I had to use MMB + Ctrl. Not cool. Then I read this thread, and knowing that I had updated my drivers the logical step was to go backwards to 391.35 by using System Restore. Amazingly everything was back to normal.
Message 50 of 56
Anonymous

Thanks, that just solved my problem.  The newest drivers for my GPU are 3 years old, and I just spent the last hour getting frustrated because none of the manipulators would do what they were supposed to.  I switched it to Legacy, and everything works perfectly!

Message 51 of 56
Anonymous

OMG, thank you for this.

Message 52 of 56
Anonymous

I have the same exact problem on Maya 2019 on OSX, this is infuriating it is literally the main way I interact with my geometry.

Setting OpenGL to Legacy unfortunately doesn't work for me -- are there any other people having this problem?  I am using an Intuos Pen & Touch Small.

By the way, Alt + Left Click works fine with the trackpad, it just doesn't work at all with the tablet.  

Using Alt + Left Click to orbit works fine in all my other art tools (Houdini, Blender).

UPDATE: Tapping W randomly seems to sometimes let me orbit.  What the heck is going on?

Message 53 of 56
Anonymous

UPDATE: I am a moron, updating to Wacom drivers 6.3.33-5 fixed it for me.

Message 54 of 56
Anonymous

I had this issue when I was installing a version of Python and Pillow that was not compatible (I had used later versions of them than what Maya was expecting at the time) I reverted to the earlier versions and the problem went away.

Message 55 of 56
Anonymous

Go to Prefrences and click Display in categories then go to viewport 2.0 change it to DirectX 11

Message 56 of 56
voltron1973

Thanks it works! And you save me huge headache!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report