Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 Xgen splines dont attach to surface after archive

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
1187 Views, 29 Replies

Maya 2017 Xgen splines dont attach to surface after archive

Hey all

I am trying to get some desert foliage placed in zgen using archive geometry.  When I do splines on this terrain surface it works fine.  However when I archive a geometry it is not attatched to the surface.  Pls help!

XGENWTF.png

Hi @Anonymous your title 'XGEN help' was edited for clarity by @sean.heasley

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

What are you using as the original model before archiving?

Did you set everything up correctly before archiving the model?

I'd recommend following this tutorial to make sure you didn't miss anything:

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Thank you for the reply Sean,

That is exactly the exact tutorial I am using as a guide.

I have tried several different models.  A paint FX converted to polygon, and a few bushes from my library.

Both the model and the terrain are frozen transform, center pivot, and deleted history before archiving.

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous

If it helps at all, MASH is producing a similar result, although the archive geo is scattered all over the place at random heights and depths rather than actually kind of following the contour of the terrain just at a different spot and proportion.

Message 5 of 30
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Hmm in that case there may be something off with your Maya.

You're on 2017 but is it up to date? Our most recent update is update 5.

Also, have you tried Maya 2018 or 2016 with this project?

Finally, a quick fix you could try is unloading/reloading the Xgen plugin and/or deleting your settings/preferences entirely.

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous

I have tried maya 2018 and the same thing happens.

I use 2017 (up to date) right now because I need the ALshader networks i have installed on it for current projects.

Would you care to take a look at my scene file?

Message 7 of 30
Anonymous

Also I am led to believe it is not a problem with xgen itself because a very similar thing happens with MASH distribution.

Message 8 of 30
Anonymous

Here is the same thing happening in maya 2018 with just a simple sphere.  So it must be something about the aspects of the terrain geo?

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous

Agh sooo frustrated right now this should be so simple!!XGENWTF2.png

Message 10 of 30
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Yeah I'd be happy to take a look at the scene file. 

When you get a chance, can you please zip and attach it here or via dropbox/google drive or another file sharing program so I can take a look at it? If the file is confidential or under NDA please send it to me in a private message instead of posting it here.

Message 11 of 30
faline.custodio.da.silva

@Anonymous

Thanks for posting!

I have done similar work with Xgen and topological art. Great work so far!

I'm not able to reproduce the issue so it may be a local problem with Maya or your configuration. Where are the files being saved? Did you try resetting the prefs?

Like @sean.heasley mentioned, we would be happy to test your scene file. If you do not want to post it publically you can send it to either of us in a private message.

Cheers!

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 12 of 30
Anonymous

Thank you so much guys! I will try resetting the preferences and if that does not work will upload a scene file.

The archive I have tried saving to both xgen archive under my documents as well as the project folder.  I will include in the maya file just the terrain geo and the bush geo as well as the zgen file in a zip.

Thanks again!  I am working on a frelance project and on the last image I had to place folliage individually because of this same issue.  I thought it was because the terrain I had there had been thrown around a bunch of different programs before hand, but this one is just a simple plain with some sculpt and scaling.  I am trying to save myself time and my client money! Luckily I have another image to work on while I figure this one out.

Message 13 of 30
Anonymous

Faline and Sean, when you mention resetting the prefs, do you mean just restoring to default under maya preferences? Xgen only has like 3 options under preferences and I cant see that resetting them would change anything..

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19oiX-e0ikKW663mf9juOl3buwIyQ5Z4z

Here is the compression with the second scene being set up with zgen archive.

Message 15 of 30
faline.custodio.da.silva

@Anonymous

Please follow this guide: How to Reset Maya to Default

I'll take a look at the scene file and get back to you when I have some clues. =]

Thanks so much for your update!

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 16 of 30
Anonymous

Thank you so much Faline!

Unfortunately the prefs are not the problem.

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous

Were you able to take a look at this faline or sean?

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous

Hello??? 😕

Message 19 of 30
faline.custodio.da.silva

@Anonymous

Hey there! Sorry for the belated reply. I'll do some tests this week and I'll update the thread with my results. =]

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 20 of 30
Anonymous

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report