Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 won't start

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
rosttka
18611 Views, 24 Replies

Maya 2017 won't start

Today i was meeting one problem! My Maya 2017 (student version) won't start!
I have Windows 10 (64) RAM 32Gb, CPU i7-6700 3,40GHz, GeForce 1080... I think my PC good for Maya 🙂
I was reinstalling Maya but i hav'nt result. I see in Task Manager Maya but i can't work with her.

Maybe somebody have decision?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

I hadn't upgraded to Creators yet but that worked perfectly for me. Thank you very much!

Message 22 of 25
info
in reply to: rosttka

I have the same issue, but I can't go back at previus windows installation.

I hope autodesk find a solution very quickly for this problem.

Message 23 of 25
Doug_Helbling
in reply to: info

I am in the same boat.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled MayaLT 2017 three times.  No effect on my WIndows 10 machine, but it did fix it on my backup Windows 7 machine.  I tried installing MayaLT 2016.  Also no effect.  My daughter has a 3ds Max install on the same machine and it now works, though it was also broken before the re-install. I cannot go back to a previous system build state because the Microsoft update hosed my download disk free space so that it would not support maintaining previous build restore points.

As of now, the "LAUNCH" button will not show up on the Autodesk helper app either, for MayaLT, but it does show up (and work) for the 3ds Max install.

I am about out of ideas.  Guess I am stuck running MayaLT on the backup machine until this gets sorted out.  What a hot mess.  Even SCREENCAST won't work.  That may be a clue as to the root of the problem, however.  I am tracking that down now.

This update also whacked at least a handful of other non-Autodesk gamedev apps and modules on my primary (Windows 10) system.  About half of those affected are still broken after uninstall and reinstall. It also managed to erase the icons for about two dozen different tools.  I had to manually recreate shortcuts for them.  Creative release?  Hell yes.  It was a very creative way for Microsoft to insert their tiny toys into working workflows and totally mess stuff up.

Message 24 of 25

I found a work-around to get Maya 2016 LT working.  As someone else mentioned, this does seem to be an issue with the run-time libraries.  

My main machine is an ASUS laptop with an NVidia 960.  It has an SSD for a boot drive, but it's not big enough to hold all my EXEs so, I usually install apps on my 😧 drive, including Autodesk apps.

So I have MayaLT2017 (and now MayaLT2016) installed on D:.  But it would not run over there after the 1703 upgrade.  No errors, no warnings.  Also, the Maya LT launch button won't show up in the Autodesk helper app (whereas the 3ds Max button does).  But I have a full complement of uninstalled MS DLLs that are part of the setup program, which Autodesk conveniently left here:  c:\autodesk\Autodesk|Maya_LT_2016|R1_wi_en-US\Setup.  There is also a nearly identical dir for Maya_LT_2017.

Here is my cheesy work-around while I figure out how to get the absolutely correct redist pack installed.

In the BIN directory of my MayaLT 2016 installation  (D:\Program_Files\Autodesk\MayaLT2016\bin), I have created/installed this BAT file:

@Anonymous off
set PATH=%PATH%;c:\autodesk\Autodesk_Maya_LT_2016_R1_wi_en-US\Setup
d:
cd \Program_Files\Autodesk\MayaLT2016\bin
.\maya.exe

It launches MayaLT 2016 without problems.

I tried this for MayaLT2017 and it did not work, though I did point to the equivalent 2017 setup directory.  

Still researching ...

Message 25 of 25
gmote
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm getting the "Maya has stopped working" error during start up when the program is loading (2018 student version).  It was fixed one time by just renaming he pref folder but not this time.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Maya 2018 but that didn't correct the problem.  I tried changing the pref folder name again and that didn't work.  I tried a "repair" and that didn't work and tried "reinstall" and that didn't work.  Based on what I'm reading, this is a really common problem.  Please Autodesk, do something more substantial to correct it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report