Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 update 3 is awesome

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anifex09
2364 Views, 14 Replies

Maya 2017 update 3 is awesome

So like many people I have been fighting with windows popping up - windows docking themselves and just not all that happy with workspace implementation.  But with update 3 many of the issues have been resolved along with some awesome tool such as mash ecosystem, new tension deformer that allows you to create effects that before would have required some type of dynamic sim and viewport 2.0 keeps getting better - So I am writing this to say thanks and encourage people who have not installed this update to do so.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
dptonkin
in reply to: Anifex09

Am I going crazy, but I cant find the update?

my Autodesk App manager doesn't offer me a 2017 update and there is no "Help > Check for updates" in my maya menu...

Am I having a blonde moment here?

DT

Message 3 of 15
kylehorwood
in reply to: dptonkin

I'm having the same problem, it's not showing on my desktop app at all. 

Message 4 of 15
hzhou3
in reply to: kylehorwood

I can see it:

untitled.png

Message 5 of 15
readersontherun

You're right, it's a great update! Often people only post on the board if they have a problem so it's nice to see positive comments. Mash is great fun, xgen is boss and the new UV toolkit is neat, good work Maya dudes!

Message 6 of 15
BenediZ
in reply to: dptonkin

Yes, I was wondering too, and contacted the support. The answer helped me:

"You can download Maya 2017 Update 3 from your accounts.

1. Login to your accounts https://accounts.autodesk.com/
2. Go to Management tab located at top
3. Search for Maya product and sect downloads
4. Click on updates & add-ons
5. You will find Maya 2017 Update 3
"

All the Best,

Benedikt

p.s. I don't know why the update-link is so hidden and why there isn't any menue item inside Maya for update checks.

Maybe an user suggestion for SP4 ? 😉

Message 7 of 15
FruitDenizen

After installing the update my modelling toolkit has been disabled...It's loaded in the plugin manager but all tools and actions related to the modelling toolkit have stopped working! Help please.

Message 8 of 15
FruitDenizen
in reply to: FruitDenizen

dR_updateCommandPanel;
// Error: line 1: Cannot find procedure "dR_updateCommandPanel". //
dR_updateToolSettings;
// Error: line 1: Cannot find procedure "dR_updateToolSettings". //

Message 9 of 15

awesome BUGS. Quad draw BUGS.

not working draw strips by Tab.

not create points without create plane or live surface.
stupid developers.

Message 10 of 15
Davesee

How could i miss it.. thanks for the hint. 😄

Message 11 of 15
brentmc
in reply to: 30011984

@30011984 wrote:

awesome BUGS. Quad draw BUGS.

not working draw strips by Tab.

not create points without create plane or live surface.
stupid developers.

In Update 3 Quad Draw can now work on an existing mesh without requiring a live surface. (which was a commonly requested feature)

When working without a live surface some features like strips are disabled and you can only drop points in holes or next to an open mesh border. Note: in this mode you can use MMB to move points or dots along their normals.

To support this new way of working with Quad Draw we removed the ability to just start drawing on the ground plane so you need to create a live reference plane first if you want to draw on a plane.

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 12 of 15
brentmc

@Anonymous_chung wrote:

dR_updateCommandPanel;
dR_updateToolSettings;

From those error messages it really looks like the plugin is not loaded so you might want to double check.

Also, you might want to try resetting your preferences in case something from an earlier Maya install is causing the plugin to fail to load.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Maya/files/GUID-393D1ECA-9B6E-4625-B5B1-3F28E62AFB1C-htm.html

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 13 of 15
gvok

Perhaps for basic work but maya 2017 - despite update 3 fixing some issues - is a total production disaster - especially for larger companies on linux.  Seems mostly due to the ever growing list of Viewport bugs, and PyQt problems. I have been at two significant production studios since 2017 was released - currently at a larger FX house on several films, where after much frustration by pipeline developers and IT developers we are on only barely justifying the move from 2016 to 2017. Great additions like the Pose Editor and new Shape editor workflow are our main reason to move for the corrective fixes we are doing on shots, but there are entire departments hamstrung on image plane issues, geometry refresh problems and all sorts of bad performance issues. Is AD listening? Not according to the bugs that I have been submitting since 2017 release.

I'm a fan of Maya - really am and I have fond memories of working at Alias Wavefront, way back on beta1 but something is completely wrong with the QA philosophy at AD and we're pulling our hair out. I know of other production crews who have pulled chute and moved back to 2016. Its not uncommon.

Message 14 of 15
CheeseElemental

Hello, I'm wondering if there's a way I can see my UV shell seams in the viewport?  That seems to be gone in update 3, and I didn't realize how reliant I had become on it.  Thanks!

Message 15 of 15
NandoStille

@Anonymous_chung wrote:

dR_updateCommandPanel;
dR_updateToolSettings;

Just in case ... if you ever applied the modified "drInit.mel" from this thread, make sure to remove it with update3

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-lt-forum/error-code-at-startup/td-p/6491312

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report