Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 - Update 2 - rearrange graph on every new node I create?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
ckrause
3730 Views, 9 Replies

Maya 2017 - Update 2 - rearrange graph on every new node I create?

I'm going to keep this short.

Every time I create a node, add an already existing node, have conversion nodes automatically created, the graph editor decides to do a really ****-tastic rearrange of many of my nodes.

Here I have my node tree all setup peachy-keen, organized appropriately, I create a new node and my nice, neat tree just explodes into chaos. 2 things-

Is there a way to turn this auto rearrange OFF in the current version of Maya? If there isn't, please change this in update 3 so we can turn it off.

You guys might want to consider allowing the creation of dummy group nodes (be able to draw large colored boxes around various subgroups in a tree to better organize what's going on.. have the boxes be able to take a label like in Nuke).

Let me know please before I get too cranky. 🙂 Loving 2017 so far after the update numbo 2.

Best,

Clayton

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mspeer
in reply to: ckrause

Hi!

In Node Editor you can pin individual or all new created nodes (Hotkey "p" also works in Hypershade): 

A) Edit -> Pin, or

B) Options -> Pin all nodes by default

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-29222157-48FF-4670-9057-AF4F07DCC2CF

Message 3 of 10
ckrause
in reply to: mspeer

pinning from my understanding has nothing to do with the node rearranging or not.... It just means the node cannot be cleared from that graph tab. Let me know if I'm mistaken, but I'm 99% sure I'm dead on unless there is some secret, hidden functionality of the pin.

Thank you though.

Message 4 of 10
mspeer

Hi!

First sentence from the Maya Online Help (the link i included in my previous post).

"You can select a node and use the hotkey p to pin it so that it stays within the Node Editor view and retains its position and size even after a regraph."

Message 5 of 10
ckrause

Well then the pin functionality is broken because it my nodes be jumping around everywhere pinned or not.

Message 6 of 10
mspeer

Hi!

Can you provide some steps to reproduce this, as i tested it here and it works.

Message 7 of 10
ckrause

Pipe the nodes manually (not with the connection editor), Get a node tree with 20-40 nodes in it. Then connect a multiply divide output to a rotational input on a transform node. Unit conversion nodes get populated and shifts part of the tree around.

The problem seems to be very inconstant and depends on original node position and count. Usually hits consistently when a unit conversion node gets populated.

Message 8 of 10
ckrause

I actually was attempting to get you photo documented proof of it happening, but it would jump, I would undo and try to repeat and then the nodes that were pinned stayed stationary. (Then Maya crashed and since I'm in the middle of the work day still I decided to stop dinking around and get back to tooling in Maya).

Message 9 of 10
mspeer

Hi!

I did another test with about 40 nodes but still they all retained their original position (if pinned).

But this doesn't mean there is no configuration that may break this behavior.

If you find something reproducible, please post it here (you can also upload a scene where one additional step will show this) and

report this problem (bug?) to Autodesk.
Help -> Speak Back -> Report a Problem

Message 10 of 10
ckrause

I feel sort of like a nutter because since I posted about this, the issue only occurred one time. I must of been doing something super weird because now it's working.

I appreciate you looking into this! I don't pretend to know what the devs for Maya do, but since Update 2 Maya has been really great to work with! There is still a little 'delete' bug, but it's minor (will report it with through the speak back). Good stuff. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report