Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 - Can't re-dock panels on Linux

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
tomekp1981
3451 Views, 18 Replies

Maya 2017 - Can't re-dock panels on Linux

I can't dock panels back to main Maya window. I can drag floating windows anywhere (channel box, attribute editor etc.) but blue bar showing place to dock a panel never appears, not on Linux. I can dock panels when I drag using tabs, but tabs exist only if more than one panel exists in a window.

Has anyone experienced the same behaviour?

My configuration:

Maya 2017 Update 2

Centos 7 (KDE)

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
janerikarud
in reply to: tomekp1981

Have you turn of Windows-> Workspaces ->Disable Docking/Undocking?
Message 3 of 19
tomekp1981
in reply to: janerikarud

Yes, I have docking unlocked. Does it work for you? Maybe there's something wrong with my configuration. What distro do you use?

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 19
cornelh

@tomekp1981

Are you using multi monitor setup with different resolutions?  I  would recommend installed the Maya 2017 Update 3 as some of  the UI and docking issues may have been dealt with.  let me know if the update does the trick for you.

Message 5 of 19
tomekp1981
in reply to: cornelh

I have one monitor only. And I have Update 3 installed, default preferences. I've checked Fedora 24 (KDE 5) and Centos 7 (KDE 4) - same results. What distro are you running? Maybe I could install it just to check if that changes anything.

Message 6 of 19
cornelh

@tomekp1981  Cent OS 7.2..  also it seems their is a bug on the Linux side in which the blue bar disappears and makes docking impossible (or should I say re-docking)  On workaround that the QA team found, was to use the "Standard" Desktop effects instead of "compiz" settings.  

Let me know if that is helpful.  Also this does look like a lingering bug, so I will log this with Development.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  

Message 7 of 19
cornelh

@tomekp1981@janerikarud

This has been logged as a defect 

MAYA-80196

Hopefully it will get in for our next Maya 2017 Update.  Thank you for your patience and understanding.  

Message 8 of 19
tomekp1981
in reply to: cornelh

@Anonymous

Turning desktop effects on/off doesn't change anything in my case. But I'm glad you can replicate my problem and you're working on it. Btw, is there a way to view support cases other than my own? Like the name you gave (MAYA-80196) - can I put it somewhere to track it. Is there a general maya bug tracker, where we can view reported issues?

Message 9 of 19
tomekp1981

@cornelh I have a simple idea, that could work as a solution. As I said earlier, docking windows by grabbing tabs instead of window borders, works fine. If we could show tabs always, even when there's only one in a window, problem would be solved. We would waste some space, but it's better than not being able to dock windows. And having tabs always visible might be available as a preference. 

Message 10 of 19
rbland1123

I've been experiencing the same issue in 2017. Is there any new information on the issue?

2017 Docking Issue

System stats:

Maya: 2017 Update 4

KDE: 4.14.9

GPU: Quadro K4200

Driver: Nvidia  346.72

Maya is running in a vanilla environment on a multiple display system but both displays are running the same resolution (1920x1080).

Message 11 of 19
rbland1123

I've found a work around that may be enough for now. Check it out here.

Also, I learned of this hack from this possibly related issue with Libre Office.

Hope that helps.

Message 12 of 19
tomekp1981
in reply to: rbland1123

For me and my friends, switching desktop to XFCE helped. I have no idea why 🙂

Message 13 of 19
gaudres

Hi

Thanks for reporting this issue
I can reproduce on my side
The problem was logged in our database and was brought to our development team.

Thanks again...

Sophie

Message 14 of 19
z.millerLWUEW
in reply to: gaudres

I'm wondering if a solution was every found for this issue?
I have the same problem on CentOS7 (kde) running Maya 2018.2

Thanks,
Z

Message 15 of 19
oglops
in reply to: z.millerLWUEW

Still got this problem in maya 2019/2020 in kde5 centos 7.6

Message 16 of 19
spatra

Maya 2019.2
Centos 7.6

The problem stays
The only way I could found is to switch to another Workspace like "Animation" or "Rigging". Trying to switch back to "Classic" would lead to Fatal Error though so be careful. Dudes from Autodesk, keep that one on your radar please, it's 4 years since that ticket is here and there are still no fixes or not even official suggestion or solution from your side. Would you please give us at least something as a solution. Thank you.

Message 17 of 19
Toquitaa
in reply to: spatra

More than a year since the last response, this still happens (Rocky Linux, KDE 5, Maya 2023).

Shameful.

Message 18 of 19
batarg

you are the savior! kde confirmed! first hack is working! resize just by one pixel near the docking line triggers it! 

Message 19 of 19
millermaneo
in reply to: Toquitaa

Rocky with Kde! Interesting. 
Definitely works with one pixel drag but must be on both the windows edge and intersecting the location drop trigger bar (bluebar drop visual locator) on fedora37 KDE 5.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report