Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 & Update 3?

72 REPLIES 72
SOLVED
Message 1 of 73
arcon76
11673 Views, 72 Replies

Maya 2017 & Update 3?

2017 has a completely screwed Channel Box and Attribute Editor, among other window issues. They keep merging into each other sideways and vertically... sometimes unable to be resized etc. Its not practical to delete my preferences every few days. Autodesk needs to fix this and release either a GUI hotfix or Update 3 before February.

Also it might be an idea to START TESTING YOUR SOFTWARE. These are not user dependent issues with hardware etc - literally everyone you ask has noticed the mass of windows appearing & disappearing on startup and more funkiness as you work with the gui. It seems like Autodesk not only don't employ testers, but don't get the junior coders to open the software even once before releasing an update... which is pretty terrifying.

You can't release such a flawed UX now that you've forced people onto subscription model (the whole concept of which is to promote the latest releases). There will be a huge customer backlash if this keeps up.

72 REPLIES 72
Message 21 of 73
tiburbage
in reply to: dragonsnose

I ran into this as well, mostly with the toolbar (ToolBox) width, when I first created a couple of custom workspaces. I was able to fix it by editing the .json that defines the workspaces, after comparing the "controlWidth" and "controlHeight" values in my workspace .json to those in the canned workspace files.

The workspace definition files are under your <homedir>\Documents\maya\2017\prefs\workspaces\

Once I fixed it, the problem hasn't reoccurred... No idea of course about why they got borked in the first place though... I do hope they keep testing and improving this area. Workspaces are a nice feature -- I suggested them a long time ago.

Message 22 of 73
LawDude158
in reply to: arcon76

Please, just tell me that update 3 will be released soon.

Message 23 of 73
dragonsnose
in reply to: LawDude158

Inside Maya all items must be moving by Middle Mouse Button!
MMD do not work regularly inside Node Editor, Time Editor, Hypershader. Different algorithms interface management put the brakes on the working process.

Message 24 of 73
arcon76

Its been a month since my post and no sign of Update 3... my windows are still %$#&ing each other and window docking settings have no effect on this... I wonder if Autodesk outsourced a large part of the development team to plebs...

Message 25 of 73
LawDude158

I can't even use 2017.  What a waste.  2016.5 is sorta ok, so I've been relying on that.  I don't plan on renewing my maintenance subscription.

Message 26 of 73
gigayo

I dont plan to buy any more autodesk products. As simply as that. Sometimes it is an horror move trying to even do the most simple things, like selecting objects. Ridiculous. If i have an object just in front of me, and other one behind, why the hell cant i select the object in front on me???? why the hell do in eed to close up (even if the object is big as a building) and turn the camera around to be able to select it?? ..

And for the love of god. If i have a SINGLE object selected and i go to right mouse button -> edge, please let me select only the edges of the object i want to modify, DONT SPREAD MY SELECTION TO OTHER OBJECTS. Sigh, and this is one of the most annoying things in maya 2017.

I mean, things like that makes you wonder why is this product so expensive. When, obviously it appears to exist in a beta state the more versions they keep releasing.

And no even sign of update 3 and we are past february. Good job, Autodesk.. good job.

Message 27 of 73
gerador20
in reply to: gigayo

any word on this update 3 maya is almost un usable right now for me with all these bugs crashes i could spend here for hours putting a list of every single one i came across but the biggest ones that frustrate me is the crashes with hypershader arnold uv editor. the menus when u tear them off dont let ur drop down the menues. ect..... and honestly i can agree with lawdude158 price vs problems the math dont add up with all these issues its really not worth paying for this atm.  i hate to say it but for something this expensive it should be working flawless not crashing every sec 

Message 29 of 73

finger crossing for issue to be fixed 🙂

Message 30 of 73
rimcrazy
in reply to: gerador20

Downloaded and running.  On my Mac, the very first time I opened it up there were about 8 ghost windows.  I'm guessing a leftover from my prefs.  I deleted them (no hanging this time), quit and opened and the ghost windows were all gone.  The usual OS X half of my plugins are hosed with an update crap.  Reinstalled Houdini and reinstalled VRay.  Renderman appears to be untouched.  They changed all of the icon's on the Arnold shelf.  Lots of work to do today so hopefully the chronic "Windowitis" has stopped.

arnoldshelf.jpg

Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 31 of 73
gerador20
in reply to: rimcrazy

im currently downloading it are there still crashing and freezing with stuff like UV editor or hypershader

Message 32 of 73
LawDude158

So far Update 3 is a welcome improvement.  The bugs I've noticed are 1 or 2 ghost windows at startup, and the Outliner keeps resizing (it won't remember its size).

Message 33 of 73
gerador20

so far im very happy to see and say the uv editor is much nicer more cleaner simple and clean is how i like it 🙂 and doesnt seem to freeze or crash 

Message 34 of 73
arcon76
in reply to: subscriptionsaka

The Outliner still doesn't remember its size....

The Outliner still collects shading group nodes.

[facepalm]

Message 35 of 73
LawDude158

But at least so far the Outliner isn't automatically docking onto the Hypershade, or render window when they open (knocking on wood).

Message 36 of 73
gigayo

Well, im not really surprised. Maya was a disaster before the update, anything they could do will make it better.

But the outliner still fails A LOT. Yesterday i opened an external proyect and the outliner was completely docked, and no way to undoc, or resize or watever. When i created a new scene, i was able to dock it, but 3 seconds later, pam!, the outliner undocked automatically with no reason.

Also, still soooooooo many problems selecting objects, and the VP2.0 is still clunky as hell. Honestly i see a diference but not too much, unfortunately.

Message 37 of 73
g2m.agent
in reply to: dragonsnose

same problem at Modeling Toolkit panel.

Message 38 of 73
ashaiad6194
in reply to: tiburbage

Hello Everyone,

can I ask anyone facing UI issue . blank windows. ghost panels , un-desirable dcoks

please go to My documents > maya and re-name the 2017 folder

Start Maya with fresh preference and let me know if you still facing he same problem .

Thanks

Ash

Message 39 of 73
gigayo
in reply to: ashaiad6194

lol, no dude. Using a new prefs folder will not help. Thats the basic workaround everyone here followed before anything else. In the most lucky cases, it will work for a while, but suddenly everything will mess again. Also, deleting the prefs folder and so on is not a solution.

Message 40 of 73
ashaiad6194
in reply to: gigayo

without real repo steps , it will be difficult to narrow where the BUG is coming from .

I understand removing pref is not a solution.. I'm more interested on how did you / or anyone ended up in that state .. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report