Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 & Update 3?

72 REPLIES 72
SOLVED
Message 1 of 73
arcon76
11768 Views, 72 Replies

Maya 2017 & Update 3?

2017 has a completely screwed Channel Box and Attribute Editor, among other window issues. They keep merging into each other sideways and vertically... sometimes unable to be resized etc. Its not practical to delete my preferences every few days. Autodesk needs to fix this and release either a GUI hotfix or Update 3 before February.

Also it might be an idea to START TESTING YOUR SOFTWARE. These are not user dependent issues with hardware etc - literally everyone you ask has noticed the mass of windows appearing & disappearing on startup and more funkiness as you work with the gui. It seems like Autodesk not only don't employ testers, but don't get the junior coders to open the software even once before releasing an update... which is pretty terrifying.

You can't release such a flawed UX now that you've forced people onto subscription model (the whole concept of which is to promote the latest releases). There will be a huge customer backlash if this keeps up.

72 REPLIES 72
Message 2 of 73
info.sevenside
in reply to: arcon76

Hi!

I also have the same problem with those hateful windows that appear and disappear at the beginning.

The only thing I could do was to delete \ Maya \ 2017 \ prefs \ workspaces \ the file: "Maya_Classic.json" and start Maya again, this only solves the problem once or twice.
Message 3 of 73
damaggio

Yeah same here, it's quite messy , the best way for me was to disable docking which causes windows to merge , one might think that the window is missing but in fact is just merged, but even disabling docking sometimes it has no effect once you reopen another scene, this new workspace modules were a terrible idea , hope they fix it soon.
Message 4 of 73
LawDude158

Same here - ghost windows at startup; panels merging together; panels changing sizes; outliner shrinking, and then expanding; panels docking, and then getting stuck; channel box resizing.  I logged on to see if anyone else was having these problems, and apparently so.  This is the buggiest Maya version I've experienced.

Message 5 of 73
gigayo

Yup. Its a complete mess. Also, so many weird things happening all around. And for god sake, improve VP2 once for all. Its ridiculous how badly it interacts with everything, specialy with deformers, clusters, etc. I also wonder which tests do Autodesk before they release these products. I guess the price itself of the product is not enough to justify a minimum quality control. But lets hope they release an update 3 soon and we can see things improved (but my hopes sadly are not too high).

Message 6 of 73
MaaaYaaa
in reply to: gigayo

Agree we need better maya ... fix that god **** bugs !!!!

Message 7 of 73
arcon76
in reply to: damaggio

How the hell do you disable docking..? 😄 Stuff like this annoys me, dumb features that no one asked for that are completely counter-intuitive.

For example there's literally no point in having the Outliner and the Graph Editor open tabbed in the same window - these editors will always need to be different sizes. So whoever designed that feature wasn't working on feedback from actual users... wake up Autodesk.

Message 8 of 73
damaggio

From memory ... Windows>workspace... Bottom of list = docking.

Message 9 of 73
pshwayka

I read a comment recently (might have been on these forums) saying that the last really usable version of Maya was 2014, and that that's what a lot of bigger studios still use. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that were the case...Maya really is becoming bloatware.

As for the windows that briefly appear and disappear during startup, I thought it was odd, but shrugged it off as some kind of initialization process. It doesn't really bother me as much as the time it takes to shut down Maya. I've never used any software with that kind of delay during shutdown.

Message 10 of 73
damaggio

Funny you say that 2014 was indeed a good one for me, maybe 15 ,,, but since then nothing but endless glitches .
Is time to get back to basics and stop with these cosmetic changes.... make Maya great again.
Message 11 of 73
info.sevenside

Hi!

In my PC Maya 2017 Update 2 does not take so long to close or start, I think it has a problem with the workspaces and all the panels involved. Another thing (I do not know if it's a bug) is in Hypershade: When I use Stingray Mat it is only displayed in the Property Editor (Hypershade) and not in the Attribute Editor, which is not the case with other material. Also it is that I made nodes with PBR textures and the Property Editor was asleep did not reflect changes. So I'm going back to Maya 2016.5. I hope that an early solution will emerge.

Message 12 of 73
gigayo
in reply to: info.sevenside

Wow, if that hypershade "problem" is the only thing you have problems with.. dude, you are the most lucky maya 2017 user right now lol and if it was my case not in hell im going back to 2016 just for that lol, its not worthy.

Me for example, i haver a lot of reasons to go back to 2016. The last one, 2017 broke all my material presets and now im unable to show/create/save material presets of any kind. Amazing. Now, i could just reinstall 2017 to see if that fixes it, but if it happens again? sometimes i feel like im working on a beta untested app.

Message 13 of 73
pshwayka

@Anonymous wrote:

From memory ... Windows>workspace... Bottom of list = docking.

Hey, I just noticed something. In the upper right corner of the screen just to the right of the workspace selection dropdown menu, there's a padlock icon that enables/disables docking.

Message 14 of 73
damaggio
in reply to: pshwayka

Thanks P, hadn't noticed that padlock before.

Message 15 of 73
gigayo

There is also an extra option when you go to workspaces or in the preferences, cant remember where now. Not that it matters much, since the UI is so messed up that it does what it wants. Specially when it comes to resizing elements randomly in the workspace. Please autodesk fix your product... it is in a really really terrible shape.

Message 16 of 73
cornelh
in reply to: gigayo

@gigayo@arcon76@damaggio@pshwayka@info.sevenside

Hey all, 

Thank you for the input (I also agree with much of what you say here)  I have sent this post to the Maya Development team to see what can be done to easy the issues with the Maya 2017 release..  Hopefully many of these will get addressed with our next update 3 which will be out very soon!

Best of luck and thank you for your patience and understanding as we iron out the kinks!!

Message 17 of 73
damaggio
in reply to: cornelh

Great Housein, thanks.

Message 18 of 73
mspeer

Hi!

I just wanted to add that the new Workspaces is one of my favorite features, although i have to admit that currently it takes me more time to get around all the bugs than i can benefit from the functionality. Also the Node Editor does not work with the new Workspaces (and sadly also not with the old Panel Layout), it get's lost when opening a scene.

I keep my fingers crossed for the programmers at Autodesk. I think implementing this feature is extreme difficult and time-consuming, considering all the different states and exceptions they have to take care about.

Message 19 of 73
dragonsnose

Screen.JPG

Message 20 of 73
gigayo
in reply to: mspeer

"I keep my fingers crossed for the programmers at Autodesk. I think implementing this feature is extreme difficult and time-consuming, considering all the different states and exceptions they have to take care about"

Im pretty sure is not more difficult than the other hundreds of "features". The problem is not the difficulty of the task... precisely. And im gonna stop here :s

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report