Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017/2018 won't open ma file

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
nperez26
3277 Views, 7 Replies

Maya 2017/2018 won't open ma file

I was working with a rig and applying multiple animations with the time editor and maya crashed all of the sudden without an error message.

When I tried reopening it, maya will load to around 70% and close off. I have tried to open it in both 2017 and 2018, as well as opening it in Windows, Linux and Mac. Also have tried importing it into a new scene and it will not open.

I have attached the .ma file as a google drive attachment.

Please help, I had 10 different tracks of animation.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sean.heasley
in reply to: nperez26

Hi @nperez26 and welcome to the community!

There was nothing attached in your original post so when you get a chance please come back and provide the scene file!

There's a chance that the file may have been corrupted and the work may be lost but I'd like to see the file first to make sure!

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 8
nperez26

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SKMOoOPG5Rygy2MHiUq4jOXjLwrbH1S9

Sorry, though I copied it.
I tried editing the .ma file with notepad and it seams to be missing the connect attributes. I don't know if that is the problem
Message 4 of 8
sean.heasley

Hi @nperez26

Thanks for attaching the scene file!

Unfortunately it crashed on Maya 16, 17 and 18. I'm looking through the file in Notepad as well but I'm not seeing any major issues so unfortunately the file may be lost Smiley Sad

Please let me know if there's anything else I can to help you!

Message 5 of 8
mspeer

Hi!

The file has no ending and seems missing some information at the end, so i doubt it can be restored.

To prevent data loss like this:
1. Do incremental saves (as often as suitable) and from time to time save or export in an additional format (like FBX or OBJ).
2. Delete history if not needed anymore (on single or all objects).
3. Create backups.

Message 6 of 8

Hello there,

I think i've got the same problem on my maya files in 2020.

Some of my files (.ma) project have been corrupted with this "unregognizable file" message text when i tried to open them. I tried to reset preferences, or even some basic stuff, but i am lost.

If someone can help me, or try, i'll be thanksfull. 

Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
mspeer
in reply to: thedragon1414

Hi!

It seems there went something completely wrong.

The provided file (Tigre_v12.ma) is not a Maya scene-file, so there is nothing that could be recovered.

If there are other files that show the same issue, you can consider this data as lost.

Message 8 of 8
thedragon1414
in reply to: mspeer

hi mspeer,
thank you for your reply!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums